All Topics / General Property / city apartment blocks leasehold – life cycle

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of JackFrJackFr
    @jackfr

hi,

there is an appartment block in the sydney city called the peak apartments which is on a 99-year leasehold.

And here are my questions [biggrin]:
    1) say I buy at 90 years left on the lease what happens to the apartment after the 90 years? Will I be compansated for the value the property at the time (I think the gov owns the lease?)?
    2) Or will my investment clime for a while and then slowly decline to nothingness the closer we get to the 99 year mark?
    3) I assume an apartment building wouldn’t last that long anyway? What happens if the building is rebuilt?
    4) What is generally the life cicle for apartment buildings in the city?
    5) Even if I bought into an apartment on freehold land would I have a say if the building ever had to be rebuilt?

I’m just wondering, as I can see that apt buildings of 10+ age, are alreay considered old in the CBD?? Just how valueable is my investment in the longerm then?

I appreciate you wading through my ramblings and would very much appreciate any feedback. thanks [grad]

Profile photo of JackFrJackFr
    @jackfr

Hmm… have to answer my own questions again…
    either that or CBD units aren’t all too popular [blink]

well, this is what I’ve got so far…
    1) after the 99 year lease the lease gets extended
    2) so investment should keep rising in value like any other property
    3) oftern buildings last more than a 100 years, it’s generally the interior that gets renovated
    4) not sure yet, I know that 10 – 20 years is considered old, but there are apartment buildings over 100 years in Sydney CBD
    5) not sure yet

info from real estate agent so don’t know how reliable… someone with real-life experince could help out here [cap]

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Jack

How come it’s leasehold? I assume you’re talking Sydney or Melbourne? Or is it NZ where this is common?

Do you have to pay an annual fee for the lease?

5) You should, depending on reason for rebuilding. If collapse, you might just take your insurance money and run. It would be up to the Body Corporate I would guess…

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.