All Topics / Help Needed! / Where to go from here!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of shane1shane1
    @shane1

Hey guys,

I just finished reading Steve’s excellent book “0 to 130…” and am looking to get started on achieving financial freedom.

My goal is to achieve $200,000 annual passive income by my 40th birthday, which is seven years away.

My preference to achieve this is to invest in positive cashflow “buy and hold” real estate as well as some “wraps” and other strategies as per as per Steve’s book.

My concern is I can’t see how it’ll be possible to finance even my next 3 properties, let alone the 70+ that I would most likely require to achieve my goal. I have 3 negitive geared properties currently, if I sold all of them I would probably have $300,000 in profit after paying back the loans. I only earn about $80,000 PA and don’t see how any bank is going to lend me the money required to reach my goal…

Any advice on what options I have or what you’d do if you where me would be greatly appreciated!!

THANKS!

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

Hi Shane,
    G’day,
    You ONLY earn about 80K per annum? That’s not a bad income to start with.
    Have you investigated what the bank will offer you to continue borrowing? Perhaps a broker could evaluate your position with the three current -IPs to determine your current borrowing capacity to go and purchase +IPs.
    How much are your holding costs for the -IPs? Would you need to sell all of them? Don’t forget the CGT if you do.
    I earn a little less than 80K pa. I have managed to achieve three properties in Brisbane in last two years one PPOR and 2 -IPs. I am now buying +ips and have had no issue going about getting the lending.
    As I see it – with only the brief info you have given us:
    1. Keep IPs and get bank to lend for +ips
    2. Sell one or more -Ips to access cash to deposit for +ips
    3. Sell all -IPs to be able to access more cash
    4. Better yet, consider accessing the equity in IPs without selling and use this as deposits for future +IPs.
    Your decision to sell or hold the -IPs will really depend on things like:
    do you think the market has peaked?
    How much does it cost to hold them? do you think that the net growth will be greater than holding costs if you continue to hold?
    how much disposable income do you currently have to show the bank to get more borrowings/
    how much equity is in the -IPs that could be used to redraw to pay for deposits on +ips?
    Lots of things to consider, and a full proof answer can’t come from any of us really – especially with the brief info given.
    I suggest a mortgage broker to look at: where you are at now, and possible scenarios if you moved on one, two or whatever IPs or redrew against equity in them.

Good luck

CD

CastleDreamer

Profile photo of RoddlesRoddles
    @roddles

My advice is to review the loss making properties with a view to getting more rent and turn them into positive cash flow properties.

Suggestions –
    add some furniture.
    Find short term tenants (holidays, workers in transit, migrants, visiting professionals, people having homes renovated, people visiting hospitals or local doctors)
    add a room or extra accommodation
    maybe the rent is too low anyway

This may mean some work – (time investment) but it has always worked for me

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit. – Aristotle

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Shane,

You need to look a little further than simply looking at your weekly cashflow on your existing properties.

Sure they may be ‘costing you’ money each week – but if they have grown by more than they cost then you are in front – consider it a little like savings and placing money away to be used later or even better releveraged into something else.

I would also ask have you taken every step to minimise the weekly outgoings; depreciation report, interest only loans, tax variation completed, maximised rent etc If you haven’t considered these matters then address them and then see where you currently stand.

Now back to your original question – you will be surprised by your borrowing capacity.

I wonder how extensive your investigations about your borrowing capacity have been. While you may believe, or your lender has said no – there are a number of lenders out there who will, in all likelihood, be able to find you a symapthetic lender with policies more suited to you and your situation.

Lenders will consider your total asset value and will consider a large percentage of your rental income. They will also consider the expected rent whenever you apply for a new property loan.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

Hey Shane1,

You could always go for a Negative Gearing rescue solution.
    There are many options to go for and I am sure you will come up with one if get really creative…
    Cheers
    Kiwi[biggrin]

Profile photo of PeterG_2PeterG_2
    @peterg_2

Dear Shane,

We cannot offer a solution to your problem as we are in practically the same situation. We too want to concentrate on +ve geared properties but have three -ve geared – but on serviceability we are about maxed out.

Kiwi mentioned negative geared rescue solution -what does this mean?

I have jsut been reading a book by Wakelin – ‘Streets Ahead’ where they believe the answer is in purchasing property with high capital growth, and hanging on for the long term.I can see the sense of hanging on to what we already own which are all in high capital growth areas.

So we are at the point where I can see possibly a combination of both ideas possibly working but we need to now get the funding to commence purchasing +ve geared or +ve cash flow as Margaret Lomas says in her book.

So Shane, we are like you – looking for a solution.

Looking forward to other ideas from other members.

Peter G

Profile photo of getaheadgetahead
    @getahead

shane1
    I have just read your post and apart from the $80,000 income it pertains to our situation as well. We currently have 3 IP’s with two more under contract. According to Steve’s online calculator they are all in negative territory. I think that with the tax depreciation they may just squeeze into the positive. I am looking (as I suppose just about everyone else is) for CF+ properties at the moment but can only find them in small out of the way places which could mean CF- if you have a long period of no tenants.
    I am trying to move outside of the square so to speak to get our CF- properties into CF+. This may mean adding to the property as others have suggested an airconditioner or fans etc.and then raising the rent as per Steves’ strategy mentioned in his book. I am also considering wrapping the two properties under contract to get a better outcome from them.

getahead [biggrin]

Profile photo of magpie_2magpie_2
    Participant
    @magpie_2

Have you worked out the figures as to when each of the -ve properties will become +ve. Maybe you could use some of your good income to pay extra off the mortgages for a while. Once 1 becomes +ve, then pay off the next one……until all are +ve. Alternatively, do all the calcs for each property for current and projected figures and then compare. Keep the 2 best ones, sell the other and use the net proceeds (remember CGT) to get the first two into +ve, and keep some cash for deposit for future purchases. whatever you keep, consider to fix the interest 3-5 years so you have some control over costs. Magpie

Profile photo of rickottonrickotton
    Participant
    @rickotton

guys why not lease option the property that way you can massively increase the yield and provide an easy in for potential buyers..i.e. yesterday i lease optioned a unsold unit for 630k with no deposit payable to the seller and now will have my new lease option tenant pay me 3700 per month.
    this covers sellers monthly expenses and the option strick price is 695k which is the presently listed sale price by the agent.I get 20k option and the balance on refi with no neg gearing,it really is relatively easy….
    cheers Rick otton http://www.rickotton.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.