All Topics / Opinionated! / Self sabotage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

RussH in a post about Brad Sugar said :
    “Personally I agree with the others,if you got what it takes then you can do it on your own”.

The problem however starts with the words ‘if you’ve got it’.

What about if one ‘doesn’t have it’ ?

I think that RussH is referring to motivation here.

There are numerous example all around any one us where people don’t do the common sense kind of thing.

I’ll give a couple of very personal examples.

I’ve got knee problems which prevent me from walking from here to the corner.

I have been shown exercises which will improve my situation.

Am I doing them ? No, I am not.

Does not doing them make any sense ?
    No, of course not.

Another example, I am over weight. My health will improve and my knee problem may well disappear if I were to lose another 20 kilos or so.

Am I serious about losing weight ?

No.

Real estate : I have a winning and proven formula.
    Am I getting the most out of it ?

No, again. I did a little spurt, contacted some 70 people in one week, 10% of whom were interested enough to phone me back and say ‘hey, come and talk to us’.

What have i done about talking to more prospective purchasers the last three or so weeks ?

F/A.

So why am I self sabotaging ? Not doing what is the logical thing to do ?

Good question eh ?

I believe that most people are acting in the same kind of self destructive manner even if they deny it right here and now.

So the real important question is ‘How do we get going ?’.

What is needed ?

A holiday to freshen up ?
    A motivational seminar ?
    A kick in the pants ?
    Attending a yoga class or a meditational group ?
    A …………. ?

Pisces

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

Pisces

Spend less time on a forum board and more time outside enjoying the wonderful weather we have at the moment.

I have been through self sabotage and luckily been able to repair the damage.

About 8 years ago I injured myself playing rugby. I split my pelvis in two, tore both sets of aductor (groin) muscles and both sides of my stomache muscles. I was in hospital for a week and had to learn how to walk again (very scary stuff). I had 8 weeks off work and really struggled to get motivated. I became so lazy that if my wife gave me a job to do while she was at work (eg. ring the gardner) I would just not do it. I could not be bothered. I became a bludger, unmotivated and unintersted in anything. I would sleep until miday and just laze around the house for the rest of the day.

Luckily I snapped out of it and resumed work (and rugby).

Just recently I completed the longest triathlon I have ever done (Olympic Distance). I trained very hard for it and was so happy when I finished. I was hoping that once I had done it I would not lose the motivation to keep training as it was only halfway through the season and I had plenty more races (albeit shorter) to do. Unfortunately I got a virus (I reckon from swimming 1.5km in Lake Burley Griffin) two days after the race and it took me 6 weeks to get over it. In fact even when I felt better, my muscles would not work properly. I could have quite easily have just given up on the season and struggled at the subsequent races.

I really had to work hard on my mind to get back into it as I felt I had lost most of my fitness in that 6 weeks of doing nothing. I pushed myself to swim, ride and run every chance I got and luckily for me, my muscles returned to normal and I found I had not lost much fitness at all.

Basically, the point I am trying to make here is:

You can easily spend your life finding excuses not to do things like exercise, but it is your innerself that you are being unfaithful to.

Treat your body like a temple as much as possible. I don’t mean give up all the fun things in life (hell I still eat heaps of chocolate, chips, drink copious amounts of wine and beer). Just remember that you have to live in this body for many years and it is up to you what condition it is in when you start getting older.

Go on, get outside – go for a walk.

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’ [greedy]

Profile photo of RussHRussH
    @russh

Hi Pisces.
    I find that the best way to motivate myself is to interact with motivated people.
    Some of their motivation will rub off on you and pick you up again.I guess thats why some people attend those seminars so that they are with motivated people.Try looking at your goals from time to time and remind yourself to stay on track so you can achieve those goals.
    Russ.

So many +CF properties in Western Australia.Let me help you. And we can achieve a win win situation.Russ.0438 659 411

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Thanks for your contribution RugbyFan.

Hi Russ,

You don’t of course know me but I am not all doom and gloom. I am probably one of the most optimistic persons around.

My ‘excuse’ is that I am so damn busy that I just don’t have enough time to attend to all the important matters.

For example, I am interested in buying three properties, it has even been made very clear to me that the price is negotiable.

I should have been there last Monday but haven’t been able to make it even though today is Friday.

Perhaps it is because I know (i.e. am confident) that if they don’t come my way there is plenty of fish in the sea, so what ?

However my procrastination does affect me in other areas of my life as well so somehow I need a complete character makeover.

Your suggestion (‘Try looking at your goals from time to time and remind yourself to stay on track so you can achieve those goals.’) makes excellent sense though the same obstacle is at work again
    (how does one make oneself ‘do’ it.)

Cheers,

Pisces

Profile photo of SiboSibo
    Participant
    @sibo

Hi Pisces,
    Procrastination is a massive stumbling block. I think stipulating your goals in writing, including what you want, when, why, what will happen if you dont get it, and how you will get it, and then reading this every day is an ideal start. That way whenever you think ‘I’ll do that later’ you’ll be clear on the consequences of this. Also plan every day on paper before you begin it – if you schedule everything you are far more likely to get them done. After that, break goals down into pieces and do them one at a time. This will develop momentum and procrastination will cause you pain as you feel yourself losing this momentum eg you exercise for 5 weeks, see great results, and then whenever you dont exercise you feel the pain of knowing your results will slip away.
    just some thoughts,

Regards,
    Si

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Thanks, Si

Pisces

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

WOW, I would have to say this is the best thread I have read on here thus far. Self Sabotage is something most of us are an expert at but most don’t wana recognise it, myself included.

Self sabotage comes in many forms, wether it is a personal attack on oneself physically (grog, drugs etc), mentally (paranoia, self doubt, procrastination) or financially (sabotaging ones own success).

I am guilty of all of the above at various stages in my life. SIS this is why I think its good that personal growth is taught at some of these seminars like Bard Sugars as I believe they go hand in hand.
    [buz2]

Regards Bear

POSITVE CASHFLOW properties and Joint Ventures available!
    For the BEST deals register via E-mail [email protected]
    DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Bear,

Do you really think that the woman who was up on stage with Brad Sugars, crying and telling the whole audience she thought she was ugly, was going to be healed by Brad Sugars telling her she had a nice bum? It was a quick and easy way for him to get her off the stage.

I think if people have significant problems affecting their life, they might find it easier (and cheaper) to go to a community health counsellor and discuss what’s ailing them. But resolving issues of self-esteem is not going to happen over a few days with hundreds of people in an audience all paying thousands of dollars to find easy answers to deeper problems. A guru can rara until the cows come home, but when the cows actually DO return home to their suburban lives, they are faced with some of the same material problems that they had before they left. It’s resolving THOSE problems that are essential, not just bouncing up and down at a seminar.

What are the keys to a happy life? Just at a guess… a good relationship with others- partner, family, friends, community; feeling valued in life, perhaps in a job where one feels valued; good health; having many and varied interests and being able to enjoy these whenever ones wishes to; financial stability, etc etc… surely THESE are the things (or whatever people’s different core values are) that one can work on. How does a seminar by Brad Sugars resolve the things which prevent us from realising our potential?

Some of the happiest people I know have the above. But what’s an 8k seminar got to do with it?

kay henry

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964
    Originally posted by kay henry:

Bear,

Do you really think that the woman who was up on stage with Brad Sugars, crying and telling the whole audience she thought she was ugly, was going to be healed by Brad Sugars telling her she had a nice bum? It was a quick and easy way for him to get her off the stage.

I think if people have significant problems affecting their life, they might find it easier (and cheaper) to go to a community health counsellor and discuss what’s ailing them. But resolving issues of self-esteem is not going to happen over a few days with hundreds of people in an audience all paying thousands of dollars to find easy answers to deeper problems. A guru can rara until the cows come home, but when the cows actually DO return home to their suburban lives, they are faced with some of the same material problems that they had before they left. It’s resolving THOSE problems that are essential, not just bouncing up and down at a seminar.

What are the keys to a happy life? Just at a guess… a good relationship with others- partner, family, friends, community; feeling valued in life, perhaps in a job where one feels valued; good health; having many and varied interests and being able to enjoy these whenever ones wishes to; financial stability, etc etc… surely THESE are the things (or whatever people’s different core values are) that one can work on. How does a seminar by Brad Sugars resolve the things which prevent us from realising our potential?

Some of the happiest people I know have the above. But what’s an 8k seminar got to do with it?

kay henry

Im not suggesting for one minute that what Brad does or doesn’t do is helpful. I have not been to one of his seminars. What I am suggesting that if one wishes to grow financially then they must also grow at a personal level. They go hand in hand.

Regards Bear

POSITVE CASHFLOW properties and Joint Ventures available!
    For the BEST deals register via E-mail [email protected]
    DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Profile photo of tesbstesbs
    @tesbs

Hey Pisces,

Whatever you do is right for you.

Only you can make the decisions that may change your life & act on them.

A wise person once said “If you keep doing that which you are doing today, you will get more of the same tomorrow”. The only question is – what do you choose your tomorrows to be. To have different tomorrows you must do something different today.

Your choice

Good luck for some brilliant tomorrows
    Christine

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Pisces..

You said

“No, again. I did a little spurt, contacted some 70 people in one week, 10% of whom were interested enough to phone me back and say ‘hey, come and talk to us’.

What have i done about talking to more prospective purchasers the last three or so weeks ?

F/A.”

Guess you ( along with most of us ) have to figure out what gave you that initial *spurt* of energy in the first place, nearly everyone i know is guilty of ‘complacency’ at some stage, then through one means or another you get a burst of energy and motivation again.. Thats why so many people use personal trainers or take a ‘buddy’ to the gym, it’s easier when you have a commitment.

Work and Family pressures *bog* a lot of us down..i know- it happens to me, never enough hours in the day and time seems to fly

All the best in your endeavours

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

A very nice thread, thanks pisces. I also doing the self-sabotage, but currently in the process of recovering it. I can do it.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Pisces, and all others. [daisy]

To quote Bear

Self sabotage comes in many forms, wether it is a personal attack on oneself physically (grog, drugs etc), mentally (paranoia, self doubt, procrastination) or financially (sabotaging ones own success).
    I know this pain. I can tick all of these about 12 months ago. And I got myself into a lonely foetal position lamenting my own self misery bordering on the inner wall of insanity.
    I want no pity here, it WAS ALL SELF INDUCED!

And no-one came along and saved me… not even superman!![glum2]

So..

I set a goal, to be as happy as possible.

I spent 6 months clearing my mind, body and toxins.

I spent 6 months getting motivated (books, exercise). I found Anthony Robbins to be the biggest help, he uses NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) which is a mind set that associates pain to the areas of life you don’t want and comfort to the goals you wan’t to acheive. Genius!! many books.

I am now focused on setting myself free in 12 months. I may come across as foolish and naive in this forum of experienced investors. Maybe even seem like a bit of a smart ass. Beleive me, that is not my intention.

I have a part of my mind set that says you can have everything you want in every part of life and more.

I have also had to accept that I will die at some stage, time is limited.

Please everyone, don’t lose your dreams.

Motivation is a part of investing, like research, or capital, or tax knowledge, or number crunching. Give it due respect.[ponder]

[hat]

lifexperience

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

I could go on and on …but…

What is more important doing daily tasks like washing or working or putting time towards building the life you want?[guitar]

lifexperience

Profile photo of BusyBeeBusyBee
    Participant
    @busybee

Hi Pisces,
    Like you, I have many dreams and goals. I work full time at one career but have about 3 others I want to achieve. I don’t think there is such a thing as being too busy. I know friends of mine that work less than half the hours I do and somehow manage to do a lot less than me and then complain about not having eough time to do the things they really want to do! I think sometimes the less time you have, the more efficiently you need to manage it and so you end up achieving more.

Maybe as well as setting your goals, you could try setting a timeline. I find that if I say to myself “by the end of this month, I would like to have done…. in this area of my life” I tend to be motivated and stick to it. And, just take it little steps at a time. Then before you know it, you’ve done more than you thoguth was possible to being with.

I also find that surrounding myself with people that pushes me to be better to be helpful. When I see my freinds working hard to achieve their dreams it motivates me to cathc up with them!

Good luck!
    BusyBee

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.