All Topics / Help Needed! / Building costs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of mistymisty
    @misty

A friend of mine has a piece of land (with an old timber home on) 20 mins from the city. She has suggested we do a joint venture and build 2 town houses. My question is does anyone know if it is cheaper in general to get a big builder in (the ones that do house and land) as they can get cheaper materials etc or to project manage and do it yourself.

Also any clues on how and where to start would be great.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Marisa,

Noticed this has been ‘floating’ for little while without any takers so……..for what it is worth and bear in mind I am no expert here.

Using a project builder will probably cost you more in terms of $ because you will pay for the supervisory and coordination work too. However the payoff is a saving in your time.

On the other hand self supervision may save you money (there maybe some unanticipated cost blow outs caused by your supervision) but it means more of your time will be taken up in a hands on supervisory role.

Without knowing your level of experience, nor the amount of time you have available it is the best I can do – sorry.

Derek

[email protected]

Profile photo of mistymisty
    @misty

Hi Derek

Thanks, I have no real experience in project manageing building but I have renovated 2 of my own properties (but by doing most work myself).

Time wise, work full time but currently put in about 1 hour plus a night and all weekends to renovating current place so could do the same for building.

I thought maybe cheapest to get contractors for hard stuff and maybe do painting and whatever else ourselves. If it is a case of just getting in project home builder can’t see the need for our friend to do it with her. Her land, she should just get builder herself.
    I was hoping to find a way that we could both benefit. I am a pretty good organiser and have managed small teams through work.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by misty:

Hi Derek

I thought maybe cheapest to get contractors for hard stuff and maybe do painting and whatever else ourselves.

Given this is your intent I suggest you meet with a project home builder and get some quotes for both the ‘full work’ and the others with a discount for the ‘bits being done by you’.

As I understand it some project builders have a line in the sand that they will not cross and don’t/rarely allow any structural work by the owner as it may compromise their building indemnity insurance cover.

Derek

[email protected]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.