All Topics / General Property / Off-the-plan loophole lets buyers out

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of brentbrent
    Participant
    @brent

Hi

I was flicking through the Australian yesterday, and my jaw dropped when I saw this…

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,8950995%255E2702,00.html

To cut a long story short, VCAT ruled that a big apartment developer could not enforce a contract of sale, or even get access to the deposit bond, because a loophole in a 1995 law forbids any more than a 5% deposit.

I just couldn’t help but think what this could do Victorian property developers, off-the-plan property spruikers, and potentially the Victorian property market as a whole if the loophole stays in place.

As a result, the Victorian Government is looking at backdating legislation changes which could close the loophole – leaving Mum and Dad investors bearing the loss of “apartment prices [which] are already in free-fall”.

Interesting, ‘eh?

Brent

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Brent,

Read the article too – the potential outcome with either scenario has significant implications for both the developers and/or investors depending upon the outcome.

Victoria is going to either end up with overcommitted mums and dads or broke developers – either way there could be some ‘firesales’ soon.

Derek

[email protected]

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

I have never been to Melbourne and seen these apartments or where they are etc etc. If the price collapses would you think they would be a good long term opportunity? Will you be able to find a tenant to earn income of any sort?

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

The vacancy rate is running at 10% or so at present for Docklands, so you may be able to find a tenant but you will have to offer a healthy discount to get one in.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.