All Topics / Finance / Raising Capital

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of milkmanjrmilkmanjr
    @milkmanjr

Is the use of negative gearing in a boom market a good way of raising capital for future ventures?
    For instance, it is a lot easier in the current market to get properties which will raise in value 30-40k easily in 12 months. Even if this was to cost you some money week to week (as little as possible) would you not be in a better position after selling in 12 months?
    This would give you more capital to work with, perhaps turing some 50/50 deals into CF+ because of a larger deposit. Any thoughts, or am I way off the mark here?

James

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

“Is the use of negative gearing in a boom market a good way of raising capital for future ventures?”

– in order to raise venture capital, for real estate or otherwise, you must demonstrate 1. a well researched and risk adverse method of investment 2. a realistic ROR [rate of return] 3. an achieveable exit strategy. This could transpire through negative or positive gearing.

“it is a lot easier in the current market to get properties which will raise in value 30-40k easily in 12 months”

– if finding [residential] properties that “easily” appreciate by $30-40K in 12 months was a simple task, it is likely most of the population would be independently wealthy.

— Michael

Profile photo of YoungInvestorYoungInvestor
    Participant
    @younginvestor

milkman,

It’s great that you’re expanding your mind to think of new ways of raising capital, but if it was so easy to make 30-40k per year (per property?) using negative gearing, why would we worry about positive cash flow property in the first place??

Good luck! [:)]
    Steve.

ps: If you’re confident enough to be able to make 30-40k per property in 12 months, then go for it! Just be prepared for the possibility that all might not go as planned.

pps: Are you sure we’re still in a “boom market”?

“Knowledge is Power”

Profile photo of milkmanjrmilkmanjr
    @milkmanjr

Thanks guys,
    I should have been a bit more detailed. I suppose I meant boom area, as opposed to market. The area I am looking into is still showing great growth, with prices still rising steadily. I believe that it will rise 15-20% this year. It will however be -ve geared.
    I was just so keen to buy +ve cashflow properties!!

James

Profile photo of YoungInvestorYoungInvestor
    Participant
    @younginvestor

Once again, it’s great that you’ve identified a growth area, but you need to consider the saleability of the property at the end of the 12 months. You can only sell a property at 15-20% higher than you bought it for if there is someone willing to pay that much for it when you want to sell.

It’s a simple idea, but with all the statistics and predictions going around the last few months, it’s easy to forget!

If you think it’s a goer, compare it to what you might be able to get with your money elsewhere and then compare the risk levels.

Good luck!
    Steve.

“Knowledge is Power”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.