All Topics / General Property / Starting out

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of ElwoodElwood
    @elwood

any help as the best way to start as you all started at some time now looking back what would be the best way to get things rolling????

Profile photo of milkmanjrmilkmanjr
    @milkmanjr

The best advice I can give is to do SOMETHING.
    Go and see some RE agents. Talk to your bank/broker about finance so you know what you can afford. Find out how much places are renting for and selling for. Think outside the proverbial square.

There are lots of other things you can do, but you must do something and get the ball rolling.

James

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

I agree with James. Establish what you can and can’t afford. Talk to a few brokers, banks, real estate agents etc – hardly sexy stuff, but definitely required.

Understand what you want to go with property investment, map out a five year plan, to give you some guidance as to what direction you should take. No doubt this will change over time, but it will stop you from being distracted along the way.

Good luck in your investment journey.

James (another one).

Profile photo of CaptainCaptain
    Participant
    @captain

Jump in with both feet.

If you have to pay mortgage insurance, do it, if you have to buy the worst house in the suburb, do it etc.

Use the net to find an area that you can afford and meets your required property profile and talk to a number of banks, brokers etc. as they all have different criteria and you will find someone who will supply you some OPM.

Go for it

Profile photo of BronBron
    Participant
    @bron

Hi Elwood,

I’m just starting too. I’m learning heaps by reading at the moment. There’s really a lot of good books out there. It’s a small investment to buy 10 or 15 good books and they can give a really good range of approaches to tackle real estate investing. This has been really helpful for me in finding out which direction to take my first steps, as well as putting a plan together. It’s hard to get started if you don’t know what you need to know.

Being a part of this forum is really one of the best things! You can ask just about anything and people respond! There is also a massive amount of archival information too. Type in just about anything you’d like to know and hit Search. Bingo! There it is! And if it’s not, someone will happily fill you in. There are other forums out there as well which are recommended, however this one has a friendly atmosphere and is very positive.

Good Luck!
    Bron

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

U got the ball rolling already, keep learning from books and the forum, maybe even attend Steve’s seminar in April, then build up the confidence and build up a network and then start buying.

Jumping in both feet 1st right at the start can be dangerous.

Regards Bear

POSITVE CASHFLOW properties and Joint Ventures available!
    For the BEST deals register via E-mail [email protected]
    DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Elwood,

Welcome to the forum…[:D]

Probably my biggest regret was that when we started, (exactly 12 months ago), we didn’t really forsee ourselves owning lots of property, even though that was our goal.

At first, we bought 3 properties in our own names, and then realised that “we can do this” and then we set up our Trust Structure.

I would look into a trust structure from the start, don’t wait to find a property and then set it up. If you are really serious about property – just do it!

It will save you havinge some properties in this name, and some in that name etc.. as your bookwork & taxation is made more complex.

I would also consider finding a better accountant & solicitor, and I would DEFINATELY sack the bank manager and find a professional Mortgage Broker. I would look up on of the ones on this forum!

Once you get your “team” working for you, it all falls into place easily!

Good luck,

Del [^]

Profile photo of T.P.T.P.
    @t.p.

G`day Elwood,if you are renting, buy your own home!
    If you are buying your own home,get a valuation done and see what equity you have.Banks love real estate,and will lend against it.If you have equity in your house,speak to your bank manager about R.E. investment. He will be able to tell you if you can proceed.If you have little equity,put any extra $ into your home loan.It cost`s you nothing but an hour of your time to check it out.Heck, make appointments with 3 other bank manager`s and ask the same questions of them all.If at the end of the day they all say no,what have you lost;a few hours of your time. If one say`s “yes” we want your business, you`re on your way!!

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Elwood, i reckon number one priority is save like a mofo for a deposit!!!! That´s the biggest hurdle.. and i disagree about paying lender´s mortgage insurance- that`s money down the toilet, in my opinion- and it risks you having negative equity as it´s just an add-on with no purposeful investment benefit.

Read everything ýou can and work out what works for you- you´ll see there´s a lot of fundamentalism on here- people who believe there is only one waz to do things- be that neg gearing (capital growth), pozz gearing (not much CG but cash in your hand) or onlz buy units, or only buz houses etc… but at the end of the day, it´s your wallet, your comfortably sleeping at night etc that can determine your strategies.

And don´t forget to enjoy it- RE is very good fun!

kay henry

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

My 2c

The journey of a thousand Miles begins with a single step !

As has been stated, as Nike says “Just Do It”..

Actually, attend your local library, look at the property investing book’s, and as a broader picture maybe read one of Noel Whittakers books, Robert Kiyosaki’s is a great read, The richest man in Babylon is a classic… P.S -Library’s free ( ask them to get Steve’s book )

If you have some dollars to spend, see some of the recomended reading on this site..purchase Steve’s book ( Proceeds to Charity ) and get a ‘feel’ for what we’re talking about..

Practice investing… look at properties in your real estate agent’s windows, imagine purchasing one, now what are your cost’s, what rental would you recieve, how much interest will you be paying..

Join in this forum as you have done so..and read a ‘lot’ of the post’s..then ask some more questions..many here much more qualified than i are willing to help!

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of MonkeyMagicMonkeyMagic
    @monkeymagic

As a side note, buying your own PPOR may not be the quickest way to get rich.

On a dollar for dollar basis renting beats owning a ppor.

Josh

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Just a different opinion regarding mortgage insurance. Kay mentioned ‘i disagree about paying lender´s mortgage insurance- that`s money down the toilet’.

Saving for the first deposit is definitely the hardest part of purchasing property, be it for investment or PPOR. LMI enables you to enter the market much more quickly than if you needed to save the additional 10%. It also allows you to leverage greater borrowings and therfore, theoretically more purchases, if you so choose.

For example, to purchase an IP in the following example (I have excluded costs)

IP Purchase Price: $250,000
    Loan 90% LVR: $225,000
    Deposit: $25,000
    LMI (1.9%): $ 4,265
    Total: $29,265

Loan 80% LVR: $200,000
    Deposit Required: $50,000

Annual Salary: $50,000
    Annual After Tax Income: $38,078

Assuming you can save 50% of net income
    1 year $19,039
    Time taken to save $29,265 is approx 1.5 years
    Time taken to save $50,000 is approx 2.6 years

Assuming 5% capital growth, then waiting another 1 year in this scenario would add another $12,500 to the purchase price, thus adding another 1.5 months to save the additional deposit amount.

Assuming you can save 75% of net income
    1 year saving $28,559
    Time taken to save $29,625 is approx 1 year
    Time taken to save $50,000 is approx 1.75 years

Waiting another 0.75 years for the 20% deposit, would add another month for the deposit.

I have used 50 & 75% as savings ratio of net income, to underscore the point that, even with a exceptionally high saving rate, LMI allows you benefits that outweigh the actual cost.

Whilst not everyones cup of tea, they have a place in your financing strategies, and from personal experience have and will be paying asignificant role in mine.

James

@wilandel

Hi Elwood,

Well, you have certainly got lots of peoples “opinions” on what is best for you…….

I’m sure you are probably more confused now than ever.[8]

All I can add, is to read each post, and then make up your own decision, by doing your own research. Don’t let people TELL you what to do.

Good luck,

Del

Profile photo of ctlctl
    Participant
    @ctl

hi Elwood,

Welcome to the forum. I think I have already started your journey into PI by joining this forum. The thing to do now is to set out our plan and following it.

I am a newbie myself here and have been devoted much of my time here reading posts and reply. I admit the information here is very helpful. People are very willing to spare their time to give you advice and opinion. This is great, and I really thanksful for the advices that I get here.

As as newbie, what i have done so far:

1. Participate in this forum to learn more
    2. Ask mortgage brokers to discuss about my borrowing capacity (learn a lot of jargon as well)
    3 Rearching for properties; done online and through the newspapers
    4 Talk to real estate agents, sellers
    5 Travel to inspect the properties (if the number does stack up)

One thing I forgot to mention is that: Steve’s book and “Rich Dad Poor Dad” really motivated me and got me going. Hope you will enjoy your PI journey.

Cheers,

CT

Profile photo of ctlctl
    Participant
    @ctl

Hi Del,

Would you explain a bit more about TRust structure ? I have not brought any properties and thinking of setting a Trust first ? what are the costs involved ?

Thanks Del,

Chees,

CT

Profile photo of Ambo72_2Ambo72_2
    Participant
    @ambo72_2

Apart from all of the above read and re-read. Books like 0-130 properties in 3.5 years, rich dad poor dad’s retire young retire rich, Anita bell’s your investment property. There’s plenty of others. Good luck!

@wilandel

Hi ctl,

I have only just finished answering a private message to another forumite on exactly the same question!!
    I am happy to answer here for all to read. Please bear in mind that I’m not an accountant (farmer) and I suggest you get your own professional advice on this.

We have 2 trusts for IP’s. One for Aust, and one for NZ. They help us with tax minimization – (you can distribute income to family beneficiaries), and also for asset protection (the risk of being sued by someone).

The costs to set up are VERY ROUGHLY about $2,000 and maybe about $500 in taxation costs each year.

If you only intend to own one or two IP’s, then maybe they are not so beneficial, but for us, the benefits far outweigh the annual costs.

We bought Steve’s Wealth Guardian, and learned a fair bit from it. It explains different structures and their pro’s and con’s, and is easy for a beginner to understand.

I would suggest you to use the “search” function, and enter Trust Structures – there has been lots of discussion in the past.

Good luck,

Del

Profile photo of spodgespodge
    @spodge

I too am a newbie having spent the past few years share trading and continue to do so but have now diversified into property. Wish I had started three years ago. I found the hardest thing was to actually do something. I read every book I could find, went to seminars etc (in both shares and property) and found myself just looking for that next book etc. I was procrastinating severely.

Here is what I have done.

I joined a group of like minded people and formed a property investing group with 8 units investing a $2000 lump sum and $50 per week after that. After six months we bought our first property for $125,000 ($160 rent) twelve months later we purchased another two, $108,000 ($150 rent) and $55,000 ($120 rent) all in different areas. The first house is now worth an extra $40,000 which we will use to set up a line of credit to buy more at $0 down. Six months after joining this group we purchased our own property, 4 br house, indoor (in shed) pool and 30 odd acres for $325,000 with 20% deposit. Is is now worth around $450,000 and we are using the equity to fund 5% deposits and closing costs and have purchased another three properties $83,000 ($140 rent), $68,000 ($120 rent), $66,500 ($120 rent) and $45,000 at auction with no tenant but should get $125 rent. We will now take a breather to let things settle before buying more. We started by just buying a property that was close to neutrally geared now we are looking for CF+ properties in largish regional towns and city suburbs.

My advice is to just start. Read all you can, search for potential properties, see your accountant, bank manager or broker then go out and buy. You can not get anywhere if you do not take action.

Cheers.

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Some good thoughts here..

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.