Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Hi all,

If, hypothetically,I had an L.O.C. drawn down for $100,000.00,say $75,000 for an IP and $25,000 for shares,how does the tax man treat repayments……can I argue that all the money I pay back is for the share component.for instance,or does little Jhonny say it is apportioned on a 3:1 basis,so both are repayed at the same time?
    Thanks,Tools

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Have the LOC in two spilts and then pay back whichever you need.

All the more important if you use your LOC for non deductible purchases.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Hi MH,
    thanks for you reply…..but what if it wasn’t split,and had been used for two or more deductible investment purposes?
    Tools

Profile photo of JuliaJulia
    @julia

Tools,

Any repayments are pro rataed unless the funds are from the sale of one of the investments you borrowed for. ATO ruling TR2000/2

I have a free booklet on claimable loans. If you are interested send me your e-mail address.

[email protected]

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hey Tools, as they are both deductible does it matter which is paid back?

Although I suppose it does if you sell the shares, but if you’re just paying it off, it shouldn’t affect your ‘income’ as you still claim all the interest?

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of betterbizbetterbiz
    Participant
    @betterbiz

Mel

You’re right but then you still have to split the interest between the appropriate item numbers in the tax return/s. I would normally recommend the pro-rate approach unless there is good reason NOT to use it.

As you say, if the purpose to which the loan was put was ALL income generating (and hence all the interest deductible) then it doesn’t matter which (in the investors mind) is repaid first.

In any event you’d need some good record keeping to track the components of the loan !!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.