All Topics / General Property / New US Mil Base for Rockhampton??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of JCJC
    @jc

Hi Everyone,
    Does anyone have info on the likelyhood of a US Mil Base being established in R’ton?[8)] I understand that in the UK the US Army have a base there and they consider themselves to be still be back in the good old USofA ie will use the green back as their local currency etc. Will the presence of a base impact on Rocky’s property market??
    Your thoughts/theory
    Cheers JC

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

I think it’s all speculation at this point, but it’s been touted for Shoalwater Bay… I would have thought a facility for 5000 troops would have a good impact on the local area in all respects.

Cheers
    r

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi guys

i agree with richmond

i’m sure a US base will have a huge impact on a local economy, it would be a good bet that those who own in the area it happens in (if it does) will go well.
    Personally i’d move out the idea of 5000 servicemen from the states excites me about as much as piles.

westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of markpatricmarkpatric
    @markpatric

I heard about this………after I bought an IP there!.
    It could have some kind of impact for sure, I would guess it won`t be minimal, also when you consider this kind of boost leads to other positives and so on.
    I always find any kind of news exciting when I have a house in the area[:o)], in fact I feel like it`s christmas.
    That`s why I`m PI nut, I feel like I`m at the races, Rocky is last but I`m getting goosebumps cause he`s got good position, a determined glint in his eye and he`s starting to come on in the home stretch!!!!.

Roooocky, Roooocky, Rooocky!.[:D][:D][:D][:I]

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

well done Mark

this strategy of finding good developments and buying in the area has in the last few years been one of my strategies and so far it has worked really well. I know how you feel, i don’t own in the area but i’ll join you for the fun go rocky.

westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of Adrian CahillAdrian Cahill
    Participant
    @adriannqld

Shoalwater Bay for US military base?
    Possible, but in my opinion, unlikely. Do we have any insiders here that can comment on the idea? I don’t think the Americans even know yet but Rocky has a bit of competition with northern towns. Personally I would like to see the base established near Townsville. Raaf, Army and Small Navy present. Yanks are always coming through, sometimes by the boat full. note, prior and during the last Excercise (Croc03) Townsville was a starting point for a lot of units. You should have seen the Port.

Ps. On the funny side I would like to thank the Marine I met on the town last Saturday night. He came over with a nice girl and tried to impress her, myself and my friends. About 5 minutes later he quietly left by himself as my mate got his girl.

Adrian Cahill | AdrianCahill.com Personal Development Expert
    http://adriancahill.com/from-investor-to-coach/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Here since 2002, however things have evolved over the years.

Participant
    @richmond

I thought Crocodile 3 was held at the Shoalwater Bay training facility, so why rule it out? By the way I’m not predicting ANYTHING… just cutting and pasting some reports…

Here’s another article:

US military base in Queensland

January 25, 2004
    AUSTRALIA is planning to allow the United States to build a training base at Queensland’s Shoalwater Bay, near Rockhampton.

The facility could double as a military supply depot to supply up to 5000 US troops with jets, tanks and artillery.

The US military would train its troops and pre-position its tanks, jets, and missiles – and possibly soldiers – at Shoalwater Bay in case of a crisis in Asia.

Shoalwater Bay covers a third of the Livingstone Shire, which has a population of 27,000, and centres on the town of Yeppoon.

The Mayor of Livingstone Shire, Bill Ludwig, said he was aware the Federal Government might consider Shoalwater Bay for the training facility.

“We’ve certainly been made aware of that. It would be great for the region. The facilities are already expanding significantly,” Mr Ludwig said.

Senior sources said US President George W Bush will pressure his senior advisers to strike a deal with Australia over a training facility at this year’s joint ministerial meeting.

Prime Minister John Howard is also understood to want the base as a boost to Australia’s ties with the US, but also as an election winner.

Shoalwater Bay is the site of the military exercises, held every two years by Australian and American military forces. Australian forces also conduct annual training exercises with Singapore’s army.

Singapore already has a massive training facility at Shoalwater Bay, covering 270,000 hectares and 180,000 hectares of marine reserve.

The outstanding feature of Shoalwater Bay is that the army, air force and navy can train together.

During the Crocodile exercise last year with the US, 50,000 troops and up to 300 tanks travelled along the shire’s roads.

Mr Ludwig raised the issue of greater road funding during Transport Minister John Anderson’s visit to Queensland on Thursday.

“There would need to be more funding if there was an American base, because there would be an increase in activity on the shire’s roads,” Mr Ludwig said.

The chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Richard Myers, let slip the proposal for a training base during a visit to Australia this month. General Myers later revealed that another option was to build a storage base to pre-position military equipment.

Peter Jennings, the director of programs at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, said Shoalwater Bay was the most likely site for the training facility.

“Shoalwater Bay in Queensland would be a sensible location from where US forces could exercise with our 3rd Brigade in Townsville,” Mr Jennings said.

The US was shifting its thinking about its bases in Asia and the need to deploy troops in forward spots like South Korea and Japan.

“But US forces still need in-theatre training and to practise operating with friends and allies.

“US soldiers may be best kept at home, but pre-positioning equipment overseas makes it easier and less costly to do military exercises.”

Participant
    @richmond

Here’s another

Govt denies military base claim

25jan04

CLAIMS that a training base for United States soldiers could be set up in Queensland were wide of the mark, the federal government said today.

Newspapers today reported that Australia was considering letting the US set up the base in Shoalwater Bay, near Rockhampton in Queensland.
    The Mayor of Livingston Shire Bill Ludwig said Shoalwater Bay was being considered as the site for a US training facility that could double as a military supply depot.

But a spokeswoman for Defence Minister Robert Hill said there were no plans to have any US military based in Australia.

The only proposal being discussed was for a possible storage facility, as raised by US General Richard Myers, the top military adviser to the US president, during his visit to Australia earlier this month, she said.

“Both General Myers and Senator Hill were questioned in detail about it all and it’s quite clear what the position is,” the spokeswoman said.

“They talked about not basing any military at all from the US in Australia but looking at considering an option of using it as storage, an area of storage in the top end of Australia.

“It’s not to have troops on the ground. It’s about having an area where they might be able to store stuff.”

An annual joint military exercise between the US and Australia is already held at Shoalwater Bay, which is favoured for its terrain which allows army, air force and navy to train together.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.