All Topics / General Property / when buying a

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of ProjectProject
    @project

When you buy a non finished building, say a townhouse or a unit? what are some tips and points you experienced ones can give me.. :) thx

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Actube,

Can you give us, some more details about, a non finished building, townhouse or unit?

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I certainly would like to know why the construction was discontinued. (Sorry if this is not the case).

If it is however the case that you are buying from a builder an he hasn’t as yet finished the construction
    I would certainly make the contract subject to satisfactory completion, which means that you can have the building inspected and that all defaults are to be rectified before settlement.

I once had a dwelling built by a project home builder and a day before I was to make the final payment and the builder was to hand over the key to me I had an architect inspect the dwelling and we came up with some 62 or 63 defaults.

Some minor, others not so minor.

If one doesn’t go to the trouble to have a builder or architect make an inspection before settlement and you become aware of the defaults later on you may have a hell of a job to get the builder to make time to rectify the defaults.

Regards,

Pisces

Profile photo of fiby30fiby30
    @fiby30

Also been in this situation.

I bought a spec home that had not yet been completed. The builder promised to do various things ie. landscaping, fencing and other finishes.

I had him sign a list of these items and included it in the contract and I had no problems at settlement.

Darren

Profile photo of ProjectProject
    @project

its a townhouse in werribee
    just doing some reasearch on situations regarding real estate purchasing :)

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

These days there are implications with insurance as well as the requirement to have a licence for the building works. If a property is sold while building works are not completed, a new licence (possibly an owner builder licence) is required prior to any further works being undertaken.

If I knew then what I know now……….you know how it goes

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Are you talking about a development off the plan – or a one off house?

With OTP, it is common for places to be onsold before completion, however the second buyer loses out on the builders 90 day warranty – unless they can do some sort of deal where the first buyer will chase up the builder for any defects. It’s a bit of a bugger, but some builders are actually good and will honour the 90 days even with a second buyer.

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.