All Topics / General Property / Granny Flats

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Native_MetaLNative_MetaL
    @native_metal

Hi all
    I have been throwing around some ideas lately.
    I had the great idea of building a granny flat in my backyard and renting it out for some positive cash flow to put in my pocket.
    So I went down to Premiere Granny flats in bayswater to find out a little more about them only to be told that its a big no no to rent out a granny flat that is built in your own back yard or an Ip’s backyard and that the council would never give building approval.
    I was also told that you must name the person that is to live in the granny flat and they must be a dependent with no assets.
    This seems a little strange to me as I have found allot of back yard type granny flats up for rent on realestate.com.au .
    But then again I’m not sure if these flats are build on a subdivision with there own title.

Anyone have experiance with GF’s ? [8)]

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

sounds like a load of hogwash. i rented out a granny flat short let for very healthy rents for a few years with no problems. who would know (unless you don’t get on with the neighbours?!). i didn’t actually construct the granny flat as it was already there, so just call your local council and see what the guidelines are – I would be interested to know.

Extensive list of new Perth property available for sale.

Alternatively, become a joint venture partner in one of our property development partnerships – contact me to find out why our developments are unique. John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I know someone who built a granny flat. Its rented our separately. To get council permission its not supposed to have a kitchen. The council treats it as a detached extension. I am not sure of the actual terminology.

So after its passed by council, a kitchen is added and then its rented. The only problem is that the gas and electricity meters are the same, so you have to work out whose name the bills are in and how to split, but i think you can get separate meters.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>only to be told that its a big no no to rent out a granny flat that is built in your own back yard or an Ip’s backyard and that the council would never give building approval.<<

If it is an illegal construction that is understandable.

I have however seen councils obstruct Dual Occupancy applications in an unreasonable manner.

In one case the applicant needed it for their handicapped son who needed his family to live handy
    (as well as providing some privacy and some form of independance to their son),

Council did approve the application but made a condition that on the demise of the son the extension had to be demolished.

All of that is contrary to the NSW law (and the intent of the NSW government and the NSW Department of Planning) which deals with Dual Occupancies.

So many alderpeople plainly are out and out standover men (or should I say ‘standover people’ to be politically correct), heartless and criminals, the lowest piece of s… one can possibly meet.

Pisces133

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.