All Topics / Finance / Super for deposits

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of picja1picja1
    @picja1

Hi All,
    Sorry for the late reply. This posting is in reply to a posting about deposits, where I replied stating using your super for depsoits. As I can not find the original posting, here is the answer to questions.

Yes, you can use your super to assist in deposits. It is 100% legal and approved by all governed bodies.

[email protected]

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Do you mean for a country other than Australia?

My understanding is you can include super as an asset on your balance sheet for finance application but you cannot use it for a deposit.

If we are talking self managed super funds then my understanding is you have to meet certain tests to make any investments and cannot borrow to invest.

Profile photo of Jas_2Jas_2
    @jas_2

Set up a unit trust. The super fund invests in the unit trust. The unit trust uses its funds for desposits/percentage of the property. You borrow the rest.

Super fund hasn’t invested in assets other than the unit trust. So, its all cool.

Jas

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

Hi guys,

The only catch is that the property, since it’s an asset of the super fund, cannot be mortgaged. That would be illegal.

You’ll need to set up a unit trust to buy the property. The super fund buys units to the value of the deposit. You borrow the rest from the bank and use that to buy units as well, so that the trust has sufficient money to buy the property.

Because you can’t put up the property as collateral to secure the loan from the bank, the bank will want some other security – ie another property.

This is what I know. Let me know if you have a better way of doing it.

Cheers
    Elysium-M

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

ANUBIS if you use the funds as the deposit, then you haven’t yet borrowed. Obviously something else must have to happen to prevent the fund then borrowing.

Although I had discussions in another post where a super fund can own jointly a property that has a loan against it – as long as certain steps are taken.

Picja, can you outline how the scenario works of using a super fund for the deposit. I have heard some of it, but missed the crucial part of it when it was explained at a seminar.

Cheers
    Mel

@melbear
    Originally posted by Jas:

Set up a unit trust. The super fund invests in the unit trust. The unit trust uses its funds for desposits/percentage of the property. You borrow the rest.

Super fund hasn’t invested in assets other than the unit trust. So, its all cool.

Jas

Jas, what security are you using to borrow the other funds? This used to be the way around the super fund not borrowing, but they’ve changed the rules.

Picja, can you explain please?

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

Hi all,

Does anybody know the processes to get access to the super for financing a deposit?

I have a Corporation set up (Full PTY LTD)
    Cost a pretty packet to set it all up as a unit trust so I should be able to get access to the super for the purposes of purchasing property through the trust.
    Anybody either done this ….or give me any tips no who to contact for this?
    Thanks
    SW

@elysium-m

You need to set up a proper self-managed super fund.

For that, you need a lawyer to prepare all the documents (trust deed, trustee’s minutes, application for membership, notices to the member and employer, investment strategy, etc).

You also need an accountant to apply to the ATO for the necessary things (election to be regulated as an SMSF by ATO, ABN, TFN, etc).

The trustee can either be a single corporate trustee, or individuals (at least 2). There are specific rules that need to be followed. Go to the ATO website – I think there are some guidelines there.

And make sure you understand all your obligations regarding the use of the super money. Breaking the rules WILL land you in a lot of strife. for example, see my earlier post regarding mortgaging super assets. That is an absolute no-no! There are also strict rules about fund members selling their assets to the super fund.

The ATO has already said that it is focusing on investigating compliance by SMSF trustees. An example of the strife you could land in are fines, and also getting your super principal (not just the income!) taxed at 48.5%!!

Cheers
    Elysium-M

Profile photo of mkpmkp
    @mkp

you may find http://www.thestrategistgroup.com of interest regarding all the ins and out of SMSFs.

Regards
    mkp

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

Hi all,

Thanks for the multi responses, I do actually have a Hybrid trust set up which is much more flexable than bot a unit trust and a discretionary trust.
    Who do I talk to about getting access to the super funds to invest in the trust? – I have no problem putting another property up for security as long as I can buy this security out later.

Any more support would Be great!
    Cheers,
    Kiwi[:p]

Profile photo of picja1picja1
    @picja1

Forget Unit trusts etc. this is the best way for anybody to do it.(probably the only way)

How it works is easy (using super for deposits etc.)

You need to roll your super over to the Super fund company, with this product.For rolling over your super they will lend you, your required deposit amount. It’s that simple, you just need to contact me via email to get started. Funds are normally available between 2 – 14 days.

In regards to a comment on setting up Self Managed Funds – you do not need a lawyer or accountant to set up the fund, I can do it for you in 2 days depending on who your super is with. Heck you can even do it yourself(not in 2 days though,probably about 4 weeks). However after March 1st, it will be a different story, a lot of accountants won’t even be able to do it.

There are companies that ask $500 to set up the fund for you, however these companies do not provide you with minutes etc. all the little things, that are just as important.
    I set up your fund for $500 and provide absolutely everthing needed – deeds , minutes etc..

[email protected]

@elysium-m

picjal,

What if you default and aren’t able to repay the loan? Does the super company have the right to take the money out of your super?

Also, where are the loan funds coming from? Is it the super company’s own funds, or is it actually coming out of your super fund?

Cheers
    Elysium-M

DIY Residential Property Settlements in WA – the book coming soon! When I can get my act together…

@melbear

Picja, with the deposit, when do you have to pay it back?

Also, is it a ‘loan’ where you are charged interest?

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

Picja1

This sounds like providing financial advice. Are you licensed (or are you an authorised representative of a license holder)?

Are there any risks associated with using your superannuation to invest in this manner?

Cheers

Stu

@elysium-m

It sounds like a very clever arrangement.

However, I worry that if the “lender” is able to have recourse to your super money, or if the money lent to you actually comes out of your super fund, the arrangement would seem to be illegal.

So I’m interested in learning how you can get around the fairly strict restrictions on use of super fund money to make this work.

Cheers
    Elysium-M

DIY Residential Property Settlements in WA – the book coming soon! When I can get my act together…

@picja1

It does definately not come from your own super fund. That is highly illegal.
    The funds come from the profit of the total super fund. For example; how much profit does MLC make from their superfund? I know most people don’t see the return in their own super fund, with all their fees etc. However, I’m sure these companies make a profit. Well from these profits, one company has decided to invest these profits with their members for the ninche market of deposit lending. It is only available to members.
    They are also looking at bringing another product on the market, that is a short term loan for the FHOG. That is, they will lend the $7000 for FHOG, if the customer is going through a lender who is not accredited to process the FHOG. This product also, would assist wrappers.

The loan is Interest Only based from terms of 1 yr – 5 yrs. So, if you have a $20000 loan at 10%p/a, your repayments will be $166.67 per month. Compared to principal and interest over 5 yrs, a monthly repayment would be $424.94 per month. There are no penalties for paying the loan out early, unless under the 12 month time frame.

The interest rate varies on a basis of rate to risk.

If you default, the company, will go through the normal process of recovery.
    The first approach would be to refinance, this avenue would be exhausted, if no result, then

1. default interest rate, normally 3% higher
    2. default on CRRA
    3. court
    4. forclose on property

The company does not have any right to take the funds out of your super, to repay the loan. That is illegal.
    Your super funds are protected as normal. The best thing is your super will have a min return of 6%p/a fixed. This rate is the bare min, most funds are currently on higher returns than this.

[email protected]

@picja1

Stuart; I’m authorised.

Profile photo of Nat RNat R
    @nat-r

WARNING: There is some seriously incorrect information in this thread…anybody who is thinking of trying access their Superannualtion money should consult a large, well known, professional accounting company before entering into any of the sturctures mentioned here. As for setting up a unit trust…the Tax office stopped that about 3 years back. And a fund that invests its “profits” back into deposit bonds for members ….please look up pyramid scheme in the dictionary.

Hint: just about anybody can access their super money is a short time frame and invest it or spend it anywhere they like but that does not mean it is legal or legitimate.

I’m sorry if I have offended anybody but there are some pretty shoody ideas in this topic.

Profile photo of salacioussalacious
    @salacious

Hi,

Can anyone on this forum update this thread on the superanuation rules and unit trusts please?
    Dom[biggrin]

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

ASIC campaign to stamp out illegal access to super schemes

Tuesday 21 September 2004

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) is conducting a nationwide campaign against illegal early access to superannuation, working closely with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA).

This campaign follows a joint warning issued by ASIC and the ATO in February to be wary of schemes that falsely claim that consumers can withdraw their super, or use a self-managed fund, to pay off all their debts, to meet everyday expenses or for purchases such as a family home. These schemes typically involve substantial payments to the scheme promoter to gain access to superannuation savings.

‘We are concerned that people’s hard-earned retirement savings could end up in the pockets of these promoters’, ASIC’s Executive Director of Financial Services Regulation, Mr Ian Johnston said.

‘ASIC is determined to stamp out these illegal schemes and has formulated a three-pronged approach, involving enforcement, compliance action and education to protect consumers and improve standards in this area’, Mr Johnston said.

In the last two months, ASIC has tested over 50 companies and individuals for compliance with relevant financial services laws. A number of these compliance checks are ongoing. The activities detected under ASIC’s campaign have raised concerns about:

misleading conduct or statements (including advertising and promotional material) inducing people to dispose of their existing superannuation interests and establish a self-managed superannuation fund (SMSF); and
    unlicensed financial services, including advice and dealing in financial products.
    Generally speaking, to comply with the law all members of a SMSF must also be the trustees of the fund (or the directors of a corporate trustee).

‘Promoters will often market SMSFs by saying that superannuation is ‘your money’ which can be transferred into ‘your bank account’. This may mislead people about their obligations as a trustee of a SMSF’, Mr Johnston said.

As a trustee of a SMSF, a person must keep the assets of the fund separate from other assets, manage the assets in accordance with strict investment rules and operate the fund for the sole purpose of providing retirement benefits.

To educate the community about these schemes, ASIC is working with the superannuation industry to develop up-to-date information for consumers, trustees, administrators, planners, accountants and other professionals who work in the area of superannuation.

‘I am delighted that a number of superannuation fund trustees have already agreed to distribute information published by ASIC warning against illegal access to superannuation’, Mr Johnston said.

‘It indicates the level of concern the superannuation industry has about the threat that this activity poses to their members’ retirement benefits’, Mr Johnston added.

In the past four years, ASIC has initiated 29 civil and eight criminal enforcement actions against promoters of illegal early access to superannuation schemes. These actions alone account for more than $20 million dollars in superannuation benefits illegally accessed. For more information about ASIC’s enforcement actions, go to the ASIC consumer protection website, FIDO at http://www.fido.asic.gov.au/super

http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic_pub.nsf/byheadline/04-302+ASIC+campaign+to+stamp+out+illegal+access+to+super+schemes?openDocument

Cheers

Stu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.