All Topics / Heads Up! / Question on Wraps (ch 13, pg 214 and 215)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of DoogieDoogie
    @doogie

Hi All,
    firstly, I am 1/2 way through the book and am throughly enjoying it…it is my first investment education attempt (in property) and already I am feeling more and more confident to jump in by the page!
    My question is as follows (apologies if it is very basic):
    1/ Pg 214. When you say that you interest margin in the deal with Mrs G was set by you to 2% and then go on to state that the initial interest rate for her would be 9.5%, did you mean that you would always be passing on the 2% addition to what ever was the current % rate (fixed or variable) on your loan as the financier..?? The reason why I ask is if this is not the case then how do you resonably mitigate the risk of having reduced +CF or even run into -CF should the rates go above the current stated % rate + 2% during the potential 25yrs of the wrap..?

2/ Pg 215. In table 13.3 with the purchase price of $49500 and the cash needed of $10502 (with the clients deposit of $6500 taken into account), what did you do with the differnece from the bank loan amount of $39600 with the net cash needed of $10502 if the purchase price was $49500, to me it sounds like a surplus of (39600+10502)-49500=602. The reason I am reading this is that you said that that the investor MUST first own it, but then in your table it looks like you have account for the $6500 that you get as a deposit to enter into the wrap from the client against the startup of the deal…..sorry to confuse, but I am a little confused too!….

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated….thanks!

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hi Doogie and welcome to the forum

quote:

1/ Pg 214. When you say that you interest margin in the deal with Mrs G was set by you to 2% …, did you mean that you would always be passing on the 2% addition to what ever was the current % rate

Answer: Yes. It will always be above the wrapper’s rate from their bank.

quote:

2/ Pg 215. In table 13.3 with the purchase price of $49500 and the cash needed of $10502 (with the clients deposit of $6500 taken into account), what did you do with the differnece from the bank loan amount of $39600 with the net cash needed of $10502 if the purchase price was $49500, to me it sounds like a surplus of (39600+10502)-49500=602. The reason I am reading this is that you said that that the investor MUST first own it, but then in your table it looks like you have account for the $6500 that you get as a deposit to enter into the wrap from the client against the startup of the deal…..sorry to confuse, but I am a little confused too!….

The $602 being the difference between the bank loan + deposit – purchase price presmably would have covered legals and stamp duty?

Steve then gets a deposit from the wrappee, and (I think) pays it off his loan. He then would say that invested in that deal, he has $4002 of his own cash.

I hope this helps, I am feeling a bit confused myself.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of DoogieDoogie
    @doogie

Hi Melbear, thanks for the reply and the welcome.
    So if one week the variable rate is 7% (in the Mrs G scenario) then the passed on rate will be 9% and if the following week the variable rate is 8% the passed on rate will be 10% and the weekly amount to be paid by Mrs G will vary week to week..?? It sounded like (in the book) that the amount was fixed and so was the weekly amount hence the encouragement to have an auto-debit arrangement with Mrs G….??
    As for the 2nd part of my question, like you I am still a little confused, I am sure it is just the way I am interpreting the table as the post acuisition/settlement amount obtained from Mrs G is incorporated into the equation which I am interpreting as being the “initial” acquisition numbers, hence the 602 surplus…..I guess this is just rolled into the mortgage as a repayment..?

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Doogie, the interest rates will not change that often. In fact, the most they can change is once a month when/if the RBA changes the rates.

So the direct debit idea still works well.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Melbear is right…

Unless the rate is fixed, any increase or decrease is passed on to the client so that my margin is always +2%.

I’m not sure I understand the second part, but the flow of money from the eg on page 315 would be:

1. We pay initial deposit (which was 10% in those days) at time of signing: $4,950

2. We pay difference bewteen what the bank will lend us (80%) + closing costs – initial deposit: $4,950 + $7,102 = $12,052.

In summary, we need a total of $4,950 + $12,052 = $17,002 to complete our purchase.

Then once we are the owners we receive Mrs G.’s $6,500, meaning our cash invested in the deal once it is sold on terms is ($17,002 – $6,500)=$10,502

Hope this is clearer.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of DoogieDoogie
    @doogie

Thanks Melbear and Steve, understood now!…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.