All Topics / General Property / Build Costs of Granny Flats

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Scarecrow7Scarecrow7
    @scarecrow7

Hi,

I’m looking to build a 1-bed granny flat in Perth metro, and there seems to be very little information on the internet on building granny flats. It could be a kit home as well, basically I am thinking of a fully self-contained(kitchen, bath etc) structure up to 60sqm.

Can anyone assist?

1) What is cost of unit?
    2) What is set-up cost – foundation, plumbing, electricals?
    3) Any other costs?

Thanks

Profile photo of thefirstbrucethefirstbruce
    @thefirstbruce

I have been looking at doing the same with a couple of houses. Things I have had to take into consideration are:
    – council regs- setbacks from fences, maximum size of granny flat as a percentage of main dwelling, car park spaces.

– I have looked at putting mobile homes down in the backyard as a way to overcome permanent dwelling regulations. Have also looked at small kit homes and bungalows. These all seem to be pretty exy.

– a draughtsman and architect have advised that a standard brick construction on a concrete slab is the cheapest way to go in Brisbane. Costs run at ~$750 a square metre. Every window or sliding door or wood or glass feature you put in adds to costs. However, I am sure if you collected used different bits and pieces, and did a lot of the labour yourself, and had contractors do the finishing, you’d save a stack. This is what I am lookig at doing.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Scarecrow7

Contact your local Council, ask to speak to the Building inspector, he should be able to help you out. I believe regulations slightly different in each area

REDWING

“The man that thinks at 5o as he did when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of his life”

Profile photo of Scarecrow7Scarecrow7
    @scarecrow7

Thanks Bruce & Redwing for your replies. Bruce good luck with your side of things. I don’t know how people keep the dialogue going, but certainly I would like to hear how you progressed this & I certainly wouldn’t mind doing the same when I get my act together.

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

A place I have owned for a few years has an extra title at the back which is very small and in a triangular shape with big trees growing on it.

A few years ago I talked to the council about putting a granny flat in and got the big NO.

I am wondering if I could overcome regulations with something trasportable rather than permanent.

Where would I look for granny flats etc in Victoria?

There is now strong demand in the area and could probably ask 100 a week. Thoughts…

Shawn

Profile photo of Istvan051Istvan051
    @istvan051

My dad has a place were he is renting a self contained granny flat in the backyard for 150 a week extra on top of what he gets from the house. For this to be done you have to get approvals from the counsal for “Dual occpancy” which you are flat out getting these days apparently. Thats why when i am looking for investment properties i limit myself to places that already have the apporvals for dual occpancy. (even if there is no flat)

Stephen

Profile photo of Istvan051Istvan051
    @istvan051

You can get a granny flat put in, driveway and small carport and everything organised and ready to rent for inside 65,000 which means if you can get 100+ a week this will generate postivive cashflow straight away.

Also another advantage of doing this is you only have to pay land tax once with both places.

stephen

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Thanks Stephen

Good point on the dual occupancy thing.
    I think it’s a good way to pick up some more cashflow providing you can get approval.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.