All Topics / Hotch Potch / Property beats shares

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Agent007Agent007
    Participant
    @agent007

Here’s an article I just saw on nwes.com.au.

It just reinforces just what many of us believe here.

No doubt there are a few shares that may have a much better return on capital growth than property in the short term when you get into trading on a technical basis (which I will be starting shortly). But the risk of losing on a share trade is a lot higher than on a property deal where you have done your due diligence.

Here’s the article:

Property beats shares
    By Matthew Horan
    November 30, 2003

SYDNEY property has provided almost twice as good a return as share investments over the past 20 years, a report has found.

Share investments have returned a little more than six per cent per annum since 1980, based on the All Ordinaries index of top Australian companies, whereas Sydney houses have returned more than 12 per cent a year.

The study, by property monitor Residex, also shows share investments had more than three times the risk of property.

But economists warn the imbalance between shares and property should disappear by the middle of next year as housing prices flatten and the share market continues to improve.

CommSec senior analyst Craig James says the gap is worrying. “Over time, property returns have tracked share returns fairly tightly,” James says.

“It’s a fairly significant imbalance, and our view is that something’s got to give.

“We’re expecting share prices to rise further and the All Ordinaries to hit around 3450 (an eight per cent rise) by the middle of next year.

“The 20 per cent-plus growth we’ve seen in housing can’t continue. We think it will ease to five per cent or even lower.”

The Residex report compares returns with risk. Higher-risk investments are more volatile and can either provide exceptional returns or be so bad as to wipe out part of the asset.

Treasury notes are usually low-risk, low-return, while higher-risk investments have the potential for much higher returns.

“Perhaps the most interesting thing is … that houses shown to carry lower levels of risk also presented the best total returns,” the report says.

“This is counter to normal yield rules. Normally, the higher the return, the higher the risk.”

Two weeks ago, 2GB announcer Chris Smith sold his three-bedroom Birchgrove terrace for $1.3 million.

“I paid $420,000 for it in 1997, split the block in half and built on half of it for $450,000,” he said.

“So really it cost me $660,000 and I got $1.3 million. You can’t get a share that operates like that.”

Mr Smith and his wife, Ally, have sold out of most of their share portfolio.

“I just don’t see any value in them any more,” he says.

“We bought a one-bedroom property on the Gold Coast for $205,000 18 months ago.

“We’ve just put it on the market for $300,000. For me, shares and superannuation are something I can’t see getting that sort of return from.”

The Residex report says the property boom has been helped along by superannuation funds’ poor investments.

“In recent years, our collective view about housing being a safe investment haven has been reinforced by the failure of our superannuation fund managers to provide us with acceptable returns,” it says.

The report shows that returns from Sydney home units, normally bought as investment properties, are declining.

The Sunday Telegraph

Cheers,

David Paxton
    “You Only Live Twice”

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

I am really interested to see if this thread gets deleted…..or is it OK to mention shares so long as you are bagging them.[}:)]

From the sidelines
    Wayne

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of pinit2000pinit2000
    @pinit2000

Hmmmm, good point WayneL…

I think the post is irrelevant since we can’t discuss shares anymore…

I would say that property has worked very well for me, but at the same time I think that shares (if you know what you are doing) have their place… I am still learing though… or should I say: I sitll have A LOT to learn though ;)

Will leave it at that…

Pin

http://members.freeib.com/?mforum=generalinvesting
    General Investing Forum for Best FREE general investment information.
    ALL welcome!

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Shares and Property both have the cons and pros, what i like about shares is the quick buck that can be made and quick liquidation, not only that you dont have to sell all the shares you purchase but you can sell half or 1/10 its up to you, but with property you might not have this advantage, but thorough plannin and structuring, you can purchase property that can double in price in almost one year, that can give you access to large amounts of equity, redraw and cash on profit.

It really depends what you like more, but for some of us, if you cant help yourself or make your mind up, play both the share and property game.

One other thing about property is that its tangible and shares are not.

cheers,
    s.i.s

Save on a regular basis
    “People forget that by saving just $3 per day and investing it sensibly over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million.”

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

The shares verses R/E has been done to death so I’m not adding to any debate.

I just thought the article was a one eyed, biased piece of crap journalism with a feeble attempt at balance. Both have advantages and disadvantages that are way to complex to discuss without taking the to thread where Steve obviously dosn’t want it to go.

Cheers

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of MonkeyMagicMonkeyMagic
    @monkeymagic

Agree with wayne, biased one sided sensationalistic journalism.

I bet he’s never heard of the all ords accumulation index.

Well I think the article proves I’m putting my money in the right place.

Josh

Profile photo of dl_gleesondl_gleeson
    @dl_gleeson

I agree with those here that think this article is a bit of rubbish. I have several reasons.
    Firstly,as Robert Kiyosaki says, it’s not the product its the plan. Anything can be made to look good or bad depending on what you do with it. I think this is along the same lines as what still_in_school said.
    Secondly, to consider which is better in a general sense(which i think should never be done anyway for the previously stated reason), you must compare both markets at similar stages, not at opposite stages as is the case now. Shares have done ok in recent months but the period before that was very ordinary so if would be fair to say that the market is recovering after a fairly solid correction. Property however is at the top of the cycle. Therefore it is impossible to compare the two. I remember reading general ivestment books about three or four years ago where, relative to shares, property was rated down about the same level as fixed interest. This was before property really went crazy and at the height of the tech bubble.
    Thirdly, you can say anything using the right statistics!
    Cheers
    David

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Property beats shares’ is closed to new replies.