All Topics / General Property / 11 second rule

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of milehighmilehigh
    @milehigh

Can you please outline the fundamental principles of this rule. Just the quick evaluation you put onto a property to evaluate viability. It has been a long time since I have used it and am a bit rusty,

Thanks all [:)]

Profile photo of lizzy1lizzy1
    @lizzy1

i am just in the process of re reading the book 0 – 130 properties in 3.5 yrs and there was a lot i missed 1st time and i am tagging pages so ican find things quick . this might help you remember
    lizzy

quote]
    Can you please outline the fundamental principles of this rule. Just the quick evaluation you put onto a property to evaluate viability. It has been a long time since I have used it and am a bit rusty,

Thanks all [:)]
    [/quote]

Profile photo of sophsisophsi
    @sophsi

Weekly rent from property, divided by 2 is the max amount (in thousand) you should spend to buy the place… eg rental income is $100p/w can pay max $50,000 to buy the place

Profile photo of powmowpowmow
    @powmow

Gday guys,

sophsi is right to an extent…

if a property is just out side the 11 sec rule you shouldn’t discount it totally.

negotiating the price or putting a larger deposit down can help a property get back inside the 11 sec rule.

hope this helps

[:D] Powmow [:D]

Profile photo of cherylcheryl
    Participant
    @cheryl

How does putting a larger deposit down bring the property closer to the 11 sec rule?

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

hi cheryl,

here i will give you an example of what puttin a deposit on a property can do to make it positive geared.

here is an example.

Price of property is $120,000.00, the rental income for this property is $170 a week for example

$120,000.00 at 6% over 30 years = $179.86 a week in weekly repayments. (the rental does not cover the weekly loan amount)

Lets say you put down a 10% deposit, which would equal $12,000.00

Your actual loan amount would only be $108,000.00

$108,000 at 6% over 30 years = $161.7 a week in weekly repayments. (This would cover your loan, as the rental exceeds the amount of $161.7 a week, though after insurance and mortgage protection it would be sitting right on border line of payin it self off)

Hope this helps cheryl

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

I think that even paying cash for the entire purchase does make the property positively geared, but it does not make the property fit the 11 second solution. Fundamental difference!!

11 ss = Rent/2 * 1000 = Property Price
    Positive Gearing = Income-Expenses=%+++
    Negative Gearing = Income-Expenses=$—

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.