All Topics / Hotch Potch / I’m young and need some help please…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of MalcolmMalcolm
    @malcolm

Hi,

My name is Malcolm, I’m 25, and I am no expert on property investing, but hungry to learn.

I read all the articles and found them very informative.

Let me give it to you straight. Finally after spending all my life studying, I’m finally working, and have the ambition to learn and read as much as I can about investing and basically ‘making money’. :)

I would love your advice on what I should do for my 1st investment.

At the moment, my girl friend and I are saving $1100 per/fortnight, and have around the $20,000 mark now.
    I’ve read that you should save %20 more than what u borrow to lower mortgage cost etc..

What should I do?
    Would you suggest negative gearing.. lets say…. a unit in QLD between $90 – 120,00 as the 1st ever investment? or what would you recommend?
    I’m open to all possibilities…

Kind Regards,

Malcolm.

Profile photo of xyzzyxyzzy
    Participant
    @xyzzy

To quote directly from ‘Todays Tip”

“Be known as much for the deals you leave behind as the ones that you purchase.

“Not all property deals are equal, and the deals that you leave behind are signs of success too.

“Buying property for the sake of doing so is pointless.

“It’s better to own 1 property that makes money than to buy 150 that don’t.

“Being able to differentiate between a good deal and a bad deal is essential for your long-term success.

“Ignorance in property investing often leads to expensive blunders. Protect yourself by discovering what due diligence really means and how you can use it to ensure you don’t end up with a property dud.”

A good start is with reading the book from 0 to 135 properties etc.,

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

Hi Malcolm – that $1100/fortnight is a great result and probably puts you in the top few percent of the population when it comes to saving [:)]

The next step from saving is investing. You need an investment strategy that helps you achieve your goals and has a risk that you’re happy with.

I like the idea of a portfolio that has property, shares, fixed interest & managed fund investments.

I’d give yourself 3-6 months to do research and then make a decision to buy a property. In that time you will have saved a bit more and will have plenty for a deposit plus some!

I’m not enthusiastic with negative gearing or inner-city flats right now. I’d go for a brick 2-3br villa, duplex or house in a growing country town. It would be cashflow positive before tax or close to it. Something not too expensive – maybe approx $75-100k renting for $120-160pw – but which is still nice to live in, conveniently located and low maintenance.

Then buy another in 3-6 mths time! And with your cashflow, another should soon be possible without too high a debt ratio.

Peter

Profile photo of MalcolmMalcolm
    @malcolm

Hi guys, I appreciate your advice and thank you.

To xyzzy, they are good tips. Realistic and sensible.

To Peter,

Thank you for you guidance. What you wrote sounds like a good investment move. I never thought about buying some property in a country area. I just thought, because of the growing population of Australia and high Immigration rate these days; a city apartment would be the way to go.

I would like to find out more about positive gearing, from what I’ve read, it appears to be better than a negative gearing (capital gain), and, more of a low risk.

Peter, when you say “high debt ratio”, what do you exactly mean? I would like to understand the meaning of your terminology.

Profile photo of LeahBLeahB
    @leahb

Malcolm,

Steve has a seminar in which you can attend and learn more, it is $1,190 from there you are learning from someone who knows what they are doing and you can make a more informed choice for your future[:)]

Leah

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

Malcolm:

‘I never thought about buying some property in a country area.’

It’s worth some thought. But not just any country area. Do your research to make sure there’s tenant demand, low vacancies and the place is growing. Research is even more important for a country property than a metro one IMHO.

‘I just thought, because of the growing population of Australia and high Immigration rate these days; a city apartment would be the way to go.’

Population growth is good, but it’s only one aspect – consider vacancy rates and the number of similar towers being built. So vacancy is a risk. Also think of the big body corporates, so you have much less control over the property compared to if you got a stand-alone house or even a duplex.

A low-rise suburban property in a handy location might be OK, but I’d still be worried about yields, which are low at the moment.

‘I would like to find out more about positive gearing’

Explained well in Steve’s book. Note that some people look at before tax (eg Steve) and others are happy to accept a loss before tax but a profit after tax (eg Margaret Lomas).

Note that highly positively geared properties are often found in country areas and may not necessarily have high capital growth prospects.

‘when you say “high debt ratio”, what do you exactly mean?’

Debt ratio = total debts/total assets
    Equity = total assets – total debts

If you have $200k property and owe the bank $180k (meaning your net wealth is only $20k) your debt:asset ratio would be 90%. This is very highly geared. This will magnify both risks and returns. Especially if interest rates go up and the properties are negatively geared, you are taking a HUGE risk by borrowing so much compared to what you’ve got. But if things go well, you’ll make a mint, with little of your own money put in.

Conversely, if you have $200k of property, but you owe the bank only $20k, your debt:asset ratio would be 10% which is very low. This might be fine if you’re retired, but if you’re not, and you want to grow your portfolio, you could easily and responsibly borrow to do so.

Where you place yourself between these two extremes varies according to your aims and ability to accept risk, but for me I am comfortable with about 50% – ie if I had $200k of properties and other investments, I’d be able to sleep with a debt of around $100k.

Peter

PS: Just saw the accountant and found that I will need to pay more tax. That must mean the portfolio is making money!

Profile photo of MalcolmMalcolm
    @malcolm

Thankyou for you explaination. I now understand.
    I was talking to my good friend about the investment market… and he’s a bit fag of negitive gearing. Because I own nothing at the moment. All of this learning has been a HUGE eye opener.

I have come to one solid conclusion though.

The first investment you make, is the most important.

I was thinking about what you said about the country, and I thought the Capital you be next to nothing, but because it’s positive geared. You can use that a equity to buy more… :)

lol, I feel like such a rookie.

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Ideally i am against what most people would say on this board, first up i would say you are better to purchase a negative geared property as your first property investment and maximise your tax return and capital gain.

The reason why i believe this is that lets say for example, you buy a property at $100,000.00 at 6% for 30 years that would equal. A payment of $149.88 a week, now lets say the property rents for $130 a week you are at a lost of $20 a week, as far as i can see, you obviously can afford this. Now making sure and being positive that this property gains a capital gain of $50,000 more after 3 months for example a property boom, you have already got access to $50,000.00 in equity. You can then either use your equity to fund your next property which can be positive geared, also this would allow to sell the property the followin year with captial gain and quicker money made. This in theory you would be able to purchase more positive cashflow properties with in a year cause of the extra funding and equity you have,

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

That’s a great plan still_in_school – but personally I’m not too sure about it in this market unless you have a crystal ball. Can you predict with certainty at this moment where you are guaranteed of that gain?

I have many negative geared properties, and personally, I am sick of having to cough up money to pay for them. The Cap Gain has been outstanding the last couple of years, but I wouldn’t want to buy now with that aim in mind.

I guess it also depends if you plan on working for a while yet, and also your income and how much the bank will lend. I’ve about hit (in fact majorly exceeded) my servicability from the bank’s point of view, so it’s positive geared properties from now, or none.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Peter

I guess everyone who has answered your original question comes from different parts of Australia.

As a firm advocate of the Queensland market I feel we still have plenty of capital growth left in many of our regional towns. We are finding all day long client’s who purchased properties less than 3-6 months ago are having them revalued and amazed as to the percentage of capital growth.

Maybe not much when it comes to Sydney / Melbourne prices but we are proud of what we have here in Qld and it is not before time.

Why not consider buying a house as an IP using a P & I loan putting down say 10% deposit (MI is Tax deductible) and place the rest of your funds in offset account. You can add to that each fortnight as you are saving and still have immediate access to it should you need it.

Cheers Richard
    [email protected]
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of JesterJester
    @jester

QLD 007, when you refer to QLD regional towns, I take it that you are referring to Nth QLD (Cairns, Townsville, etc.)? As a local, what trends have you observed (particularly, affordability, capital gains, vacancy rates?)

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

quote:

QLD 007, when you refer to QLD regional towns, I take it that you are referring to Nth QLD (Cairns, Townsville, etc.)? As a local, what trends have you observed (particularly, affordability, capital gains, vacancy rates?)

Hi jester, maybe i can be some help,

i will set out an example for you below of a +ve cash flow property.

eg. Property $50000 at 6% at 30 years = $74.94 a week now lets say $10 to be added to that to cover for insurance and mortgage protection.

New Figure $84.94 a week minimum to cover expenses.

Property has a current rental for $120 a week, profit in hand a week would be $34.06 a week a yeild return weekly would be 28%

To work out your vanancy, i will show you a quick caculation.

Annually the bank would like $84.94 a week x 52 would equal. $4416.88, using how much rent you expect a week divide $4416.88 by $120 (remember $120 as rent represents 1 week)

Answer equals = 36 weeks a year the property would have to be rented out to cover the loan for 1 year,

In theory this would allow the property to stay vacant for 16 weeks or 4 months a year and it will just cover cost still, and yet still if it only did cover cost you can still claim the interest and maximise your tax.

Another win win situation

Rates, ask the real esate agent, properties furhter out north that i have purchased have a high coucncil rate approximately $1200 – $1400 a year, but everywhere is different.

Profile photo of ErikaErika
    @erika

Hi Still in school
    I hope you dont do all your calculations like this as I fear you will end up with alot of -ve geared properties.Your above example which gives you 16 weeks “profit” if you add in the $1200/y in rates that leaves 6w”profit, now lets take out management fees 8% leaves 2w “profit if you rent it once per year that takes another weeks profit and we havent started on maintenance yet.
    A PROFIT only occurs after ALL outgoings have been taken out. Now this property might be positively geared but that is not the same as positive cashflow.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I’m young and need some help please…’ is closed to new replies.