Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of BEETLEBEETLE
    Participant
    @beetle

WHEN BUYING A PROPERTY WHAT IS THE COMMON TYPE OF LOAN EVEYBODY IS TAKING OUT ? IS IT INT/PRINCIPAL OR INTEREST ONLY OR LINE OF CREDIT/OTHER ?AND DO YOU USE YOUR OWN HOME AS SECURITY – HOW CAN YOU BUILD PROPERTY PORTFOLIO WITHOUT USES YOUR OWN HOME AS SECURITY ? ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT
    THANKS
    MITCH

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

Hi Beetle, welcome. As a personal choice, we use I/O loans which we can convert to P & I in the future. The reason for us is that we have more cash flow. We have a couple cross collateralised with our current home, will probably refinance out in time as they are gaining equity and our home will then be free. Also have a L/C against the home and separately against 2 other properties so if something comes up we have the finance and don’t have to chase same, or e.g. an auction.

The L/C is a good idea if you’re going to buy/reno/sell.

That’s just the way we have done it in a fairly short space of time, 2 years, but just wait for the good thoughts on the forum from the more experienced.
    Anna

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Mitch,

There are many options available.

One strategy I often recomend is to borrow 20% plus costs against the family home then borrow the remaining 80% against the IP. This second loan should certainly be IO and so should the first if there is any home loan debt still outstanding (not inc the 20% above).

There are many ways to skin a cat and I would recommend you speak to a broker to find out a strategy that suits you,

Good luck,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

Most IO loans allow regular principle repayments so why not go for IO and you can have it both ways?

Cheers

Stu

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Stu,

Can you pls explain how the IO loans with principal repayments works pls.[:I]

Thanx,

Del

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

IO loans require the payment of the monthly interest component only. You are permitted to pay additional into many IO products. As much or a little as required. The Principal is reduced and the interest component decreases accordingly.

This money can be redrawn as required – important to redraw it for deductible purposes or the ongoing interest bill has to de divided according to tax deductibility.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.