All Topics / General Property / Does Steve recommend interest only loans or P&I

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of RocketRocket
    @rocket

After just finishing Steves book, i was wondering if he favoured interest only or P&I finance?
    I guess the 11 second rule will only work with an interest only loan?
    Is it worth paying off any capital?

Your thoughts please?
    Thanks

Profile photo of p0sitiveCasHfl0wp0sitiveCasHfl0w
    @p0sitivecashfl0w

Hello Rocket.. This was Steve’s response on that issue when interviewed by Today Tonight… Hope this helps..

Question: Which is better, an interest only loan or a principal and interest loan?

Steve McKnight: My grandfather used to say no-one ever went broke owning too little, and I’ve taken that advice. For me, principal and interest loans are a better idea. They might lower your cash flow return but this is because you are repaying debt, which is never a bad thing. You can always re-borrow it later.

The only time I do interest only loans is on the commercial property I own, and that’s because the bank will only offer me a ten year loan term. If I did a 10 year principal and interest loan, it would be largely negative cash flow because of the requirement to pay back the debt. That’s why I do interest only.

Cheers,

Jay

You must stay pOsitive
    …then the cAsHfl0w will come!

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

Wow, that’s a deep question for TT ; )

quote:

My grandfather used to say no-one ever went broke owning too little, and I’ve taken that advice.

But did he really say that? I personally would rather owe little than own little!

Indeed with P&I you eventually will own much, whereas you won’t with interest only, unless you make other arrangements (eg hope for capital gain and sell a few properties later, as recommended by John Fitzgerald).

Peter

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Remember that most IO facilities are only five years with a few being longer. A LOC is IO for the term.

The average person with their 5 year IO term will still pay off the loan but enjoy lower repayments for the first five years – poss when cash is tightest!

It really isn’t a huge difference and is very much a personal choice thing.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.