All Topics / General Property / Commercial Property Differences

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of CaptainMarkCaptainMark
    Participant
    @captainmark

Hi all,

Straight to the point…
    I’ve realised in the last few weeks that it’s actually fairly difficult to find a ‘commercial’ property that would end up being cashflow NEGATIVE in my area (SE QLD).

My question to anyone with commercial property experience (that includes you Steve, I know you’re reading this… [:P] ) is – what are the differences, if any, that we must consider when sizing up a potential commercial property rather than residential?

I believe I have most of the basics covered (I’ve got a lot of good agents starting to contact ME now, and showing me the ropes), I’m basically after any potential traps and/or unusual ‘things’ that commercial property investing may have where residential doesn’t.

Cheers,
    Mark

Profile photo of TamLuuTamLuu
    @tamluu

im a beginner but like to comment…
    traps may include long term vacancies once the lease contract expires for the existing tenant.
    Tenants not being able to paying on time.

Cheers

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

I think that Wright Books put out a book about buying commercial property recently. I heard it was quite good too.

After some research at Wright Books…

quote:

How Investing in Commercial Property Really Works
    By Martin Roth
    0 701638087 Price: $34.95

Studies have also shown that commercial property investments often perform well when other asset classes are weak. Well, the stock market is at a four year low, there are fears that residential property prices may have peaked, and with a range of new investment opportunities, the spotlight has moved onto the numerous benefits of commercial property. These attractions include high yields – generally far higher than for residential property or the stock market, security of income, tax benefits and the chance of capital gain.

Best-selling finance journalist and author of Top Stocks 2003, Martin Roth has exhaustively researched this area of investment and his findings are written up in this comprehensive new book.

As for my tips… commercial is all about yield in comparison to tenant risk. A 10% return isn’t that hard, but you want to make sure you get a quality long-term tenant as commercial is usually harder to relet.

Watch out for GST too… it is applicable to commercial but not (as a rule) residential.

Perhaps I’ll try to cover this in an upcoming newsletter.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.