All Topics / General Property / Mortgage PPOR/Investment Help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of troycorptroycorp
    @troycorp

I was just having a chat to a friend who is looking at buying his first Property. He is under the impression that if he finance’s it as his PPOR and then decides to rent it out as an investment property that he can not claim the relevant deductions i.e. interest, depreciation etc.[:O] He seems to think that if it is purchased as a PPOR that it stays that way for life and can not be classed as an investment. Can anyone tell me if this is true. [?]

Profile photo of my65roses2my65roses2
    @my65roses2

Hi Troy,

No that is not true. I have known many people who have purchased a house and lived in it for 6-12 months and then rented it out. Once it becomes rented it becomes an IP. Your PPOR is exactly that, the primary place you reside.

Hope this helps [8)]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

The last post is spot on.

At any time the property produces income then the cost of incurring that income is deductible.

All the best,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of George1George1
    @george1

Once it is rented it becomes PPOR is considered an investment by the ATO and the relevant deductions can be made.

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day…

It really gets back to your “initial intention”
    So if your friend was to live in the property even for a short time …and I don’t mean just a month or two. Realistically, he would be doing himself a favour if he lived in the property for a year and then tenanted it…he can change his mind in the 12 months and then rent it out….with complete “investment staus”.

I have known of some that tried to shaft the system by “making out” they are living there.even their mail going to the address…only to find a disgruntled tenant “dobbing him in to the ATO:…tell your friend to play it straight and don’t try to be clever…however tempting.

Billfromoz

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.