All Topics / General Property / Invest in Land Vs Housing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of anthillanthill
    Participant
    @anthill

Hi,

I am just looking at different types of investment options and was after some thoughts on the difference between investing in just a block of undeveloped land vs one that has a house on it.

I have noticed that with our house it hasn’t really been the value of the building that has been increasing it has been the value of the block.

So what are the benefits of having an investment property that has been developed, is it more than just rental income? Because it seems like a lot of hassel when compared to having to maintain a grassy patch of land somewhere?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

thanks.

Nigel.

Profile photo of xyzzyxyzzy
    Participant
    @xyzzy

If you borrow money to generate income it is a deduction. If you borrow to buy an assett it is not deductible.

That often affects the matter!

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

If you buy land then you’re probably investing for capital gains as, other than adjistment, there is probably low or now income available.

As such, it’s critical that you manage your cashflow (budgets etc.) or else you risk having a giant cashflow leech attached to your hip pocket.

The key to any property capital gains focused asset is limited supply. For example, a vacant block in inner city holds more appeal than a vacant block in say Berwick. However, the price is adjusted accordingly.

A house will at least provide an income…

I guess my bias in this question is that when I was a kid my Dad owned a block of land in Narre Warren. Every two weeks he had to go out there to mow and cut back the blackberries.

When he sold he made a nominal amount of money, but nothing mindblowing.

Perhaps the leasson to learn here is that you need a plan first, and then let the strategy appropriate to achieving that plan dictate what property you buy.

Oh, and just a few more things:

1. Banks lend less for vacant land
    2. You might want to consider a JV with a developer as part of an exit startegy
    3. What is the likely COCR for the house?
    4. What has been the trend for unimproved land values in the area where you are thinking of buying?
    5. In both options, what is your worst case scenario exit startegy?

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.