All Topics / General Property / Tenant Demands

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of KathyFKathyF
    @kathyf

I am just wondering how demanding tenants can be and at what point can or should you say no? We recently rented our our previous home (fully renovated Queenslander) and we have had numerous demands from the new tenants – such as wanting all light switches changed as they do not feel they are safe. Our house was rewired two years ago and switches kept as original to house. They were thoroughly checked by sparky – tenants reassured but still not happy. Want more lighting in kitchen installed however already track lights and downlights above benches – trust me – very bright in there! Not happy with downstairs laundry and would like plumbing installed upstairs for this. They would like clothesline moved as in flight path of bats and washing gets dirty, and the list of demands goes on. There are some things we have supplied and others we have said no to. We are just a little surprised at the demands and wonder if this is the new generation of tenant or if this is just an unusual case. Would appreciate your comments.

Kathy

Profile photo of EcclesEccles
    @eccles

[:O] Good Grief woman that is unbelievable. Did they actually look at the house before they moved in (bats could have been a bit hard to guess about but they come out at night, clothes could be in by then).
    They knew where the laundry was, the l;ights are safe and the area well lit then on a whole thats a problem they live wiht or move out.
    Of course you could always say we will do this if you pay $xx.xx extra in rent!

Bronwen

If the good die young then I will live forever

Profile photo of KavitaKavita
    @kavita

I thought landlords only had to “repair” items, not install new fixtures (unless it was a safety issue).

Maybe you could ask for more rent on the basis that the quality of the property had increased after all these alterations[;)] It may shut them up

Profile photo of caseycasey
    Participant
    @casey

If you do not have a property manager get one as the tenants will try to get everything if they deal with landlord directly.
    They signed the lease as is!

Profile photo of investroninvestron
    @investron

if you don’t care if they leave, tell them you have done everything you are required to do and that is it.

if they are good and you want to keep them, calculate the extra expenses and tell them they will have to cover the interest and expenses on the extra borrowings.

Profile photo of truebluetrueblue
    @trueblue

Your present tenants will never be happy with anything. If that’s how they are now, be prepared for much worse complaints & then they will start withholding rents as an excuse. I’ll get rid of them quick smart.

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

WOW

Im not a landlord but i would suggest they would never be happy? im sure they new how the house was layed out b4 signing the lease?

Next they will be asking for a bricked BBQ Pergola and party area with kegs included….LOL

I tend to agree with trueblue.

Regards Bear

Profile photo of Traci-leeTraci-lee
    @traci-lee

You get good ones and you get bad, as they say a leopard rarely changes it’s spots. I’ve had a tenant call at 9.00pm to tell me, quite distressed that his dog escaped from the side fence and that he was an expensive pit bull (arn’t they illegal) and was quite “put out” when I reminded him that they rented under the contract of no pets allowed.
    You can only please some of the poeple and the majority of the rest want to much!
    If a tenant, you know what you would need, so you know what you need to fix, or not
    Hope it helps.
    T.

Profile photo of hgwellshgwells
    @hgwells

is it easy to get new tenants in the area? If so I would consider getting new ones when their lease expires. However it might just be settling in problems and they will work out fine – have they paid their rent on time, are they looking after the place? If not maybe you should get your rental manager to look for some new ones for you. HG

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi there,

I think there might be an underlying issue. Something is bothering them (marital trouble?) Can you sit down with them and a mediator?
    I’ve always dealt with motivated tenants so I’m kinda green here. [:P]

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]

“small steps make the journey” (SAS)

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi,
    Tenants come in all shapes and sizes. I had tenants in a $400k property who gave me nothing but grief. My Grovely property is in an older area of Brissy – older house – and tenanted to a housing group. I get great rental income and the tenant has really looked after the place.
    When she moved in I had quite a few phone calls and requests for changes like you have had. I simply listened to all of the requests and attended to the safety ones. Eventually she settled in and has been a model tenant ever since. The tenants in the other property paid a much greater rent and when I sold the property made my life hell – flooding gutters, making the dogs next door bark, closing curtains etc etc etc. Tenants are tenants – best of luck finding the middle ground with yours!!!
    LR[:I]

Profile photo of BlackHoleBlackHole
    Participant
    @blackhole

Personally, I would lose the tenant(s). Increase the rent or whatever if they are not on a lease. Sounds like a never ending complainer.

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

Better make sure your landlord’s insurance is up to date if you’re going to try to put them in their place or kick them out. Nothing worse than vindictive tenants who decide to trash the place as a going away present.

Cheers
    M

Profile photo of melbdude26melbdude26
    @melbdude26

Agree to all their demands provided that they pay an increased rent to cover your costs. Alternatively, if you can find someone else easily, ask for your home back. They sound like ungrateful ingrates.

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Ah…the same ol’ chestnut appearing again…whinging residential tenants causing you grief as they go about their domestic affairs whilst you are trying to concentrate on the cashflows and CG’s. Your fundamental aims are well and truly misaligned.

You sound like you are seeking a solution that will wipe their snivelling noses and at the same time not affect your cashflows….this won’t happen. You can also forget about them paying extra rent to rectify every little complaint they come up with. That stuff is from seminar fantasy land. Coming from the renters perspective, they want everything perfect for absolute minimum cost. They’ll be asking you for rent reduction next.

My only suggestion is to try and rent out places that don’t have kitchen’s, don’t have laundry’s, don’t have women complaining to their husbands and aren’t suitable for children. We find that alot of the whinging and safety issues just simply disappear.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of freekeyfreekey
    @freekey

I think it depends on the agent as well if you have your property managed by them.

We had one agent that would drect every single request of the tenant to us, to the stage where it got beyond a joke.

Some will be quite assertve with the tenant and directly only necessary issues.

Sharetrader.com.au – stock discussion forums

Profile photo of quigglesquiggles
    @quiggles

I’d view this as a golden opportunity. Every request should be agreed to, with the consequent rent rise stipulated. New switches? Sure, that’ll be $5 per week. New fence? $10 per week. Move the line? $15 per week. If you’re really lucky, they’ll agree to some of these before they get smart and shut up.

In the mean time, you upgrade your property, get more than the cost of the upgrades in rent and get the depreciation. Gotta love it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.