All Topics / Hotch Potch / NEW IN THE GAME

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Colin_3Colin_3
    Participant
    @colin_3

I have been looking at property investing as a method of cash flow and have read Steves book. As I am currently employed, are there any advantages of registering a business for this venture? I have little cash and even smaller equity at the moment and was thinking that a business may provide personal asset protection while I learn the ropes.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi colin

no a business for most people is NOT the best way to go. Companies are expensive to set up and administer. They are taxed at 30% even if your able to get your own tax down to 20%. if you sell you don’t get the benifit of the 50% exeption on CGT tax as individuals do, if you hold the asset for 12 months. And finally the banks will ask for a personal gaurantee for any loan to a company anyway so you can’t protect yourself that way.
    Butlook into a family trust as the best vehicle to buy cash positive investment properties.
    regards westan

Profile photo of papajoepapajoe
    @papajoe

We have just been thru the consultation process with our accountant and she has advised us to set up a family trust if we get into positively geared property.

But only because of our current 5 year strategy. Seek professional advice as this can vary with circumstance and intent.

Professional advice can cost you a little and save you a lot. Doing it yourself can cost you a lot and save you little as we recently found out.

Good luck

Papajoe

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘NEW IN THE GAME’ is closed to new replies.