All Topics / The Treasure Chest / The term – “renovator”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of slatzagainslatzagain
    @slatzagain

I was just thinking about the term “renovator”. It’s become a real catch cry with all these DIY shows on TV and everybody who picks up a paint tin and changes the front door colour claims to have “renovated” their home!

Has anyone else noticed this? Personally, I prefer to see houses in “pre-painted” form- I like to know what hasn’t been hidden.

I always consider a renovation to be adding value to a property by adding appeal and usefulness to the propery.

Anyone else have some thoughts on what constitutes a renovation?

cheers,
    Darren.

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Hey Slatz you think DIY shows in Aus are bad, HA!. You should see the pommy shows over here. I don’t think one person on any of the shows has the faintest idea what they are doing and how pathetically transparent they are, especially to some-one in the trade such as myself.
    For example The weakest link had a celebrity night, the chippie off one of the shows was asked “What is a common building material starting with T?” Did he answer “timber”, NO!, the moron passed.
    Another carpenter off a different show was in the paper the other day cos he has totally gutted his house (with historical value mind you) and altered, renovated and extended it. Did he get council permission? NO!.
    Absolutely pathetic!
    Good for a laugh and learning how to decrease the value of your property but thats about it.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of slatzagainslatzagain
    @slatzagain

That sounds scary Scremin! I think the standard of work seems pretty good on our shows, it’s the first time DIY’ers I’m not so confident about. [;)]

cheers,
    Darren.

@scremin

I think the only good thing about home DIYers, is that when they cock it up, it will decrease the value of the house waiting for people like Cremin and I to snap it up!! Woohoo! I am sure there are tonnes of people out there living in a DIY nightmare just wanting to get out of it quickly. Hopefully we shall be able to find them… Hee hee hee..(Evil little laugh…)
    STeph.

@scremin

I think the only good thing about home DIYers, is that when they cock it up, it will decrease the value of the house waiting for people like Cremin and I to snap it up!! Woohoo! I am sure there are tonnes of people out there living in a DIY nightmare just wanting to get out of it quickly. Hopefully we shall be able to find them… Hee hee hee..(Evil little laugh…)
    STeph.

Profile photo of MicknMelMicknMel
    @micknmel

Thought a tenant’s perspective might be nice on this one. We are tenants because we came to Sydney from tassie and couldn’t hope to buy a house. Still, we like nice things and look for properties that have had a bit of TLC. It’s not about being fancy, doing major renovations (unless necessary) or anythign like that. For me as a tenant it’s about having a clean, pleasant place to live. Often paint, clean carpet or nicely polished floors and CLEAN wet areas are all it takes. I do also subscribe to Steve’s view that being a great Landlord is worth a fortune in terms of return on investment.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘The term – “renovator”’ is closed to new replies.