Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of rdayrdayrdayrday
    @rdayrday

hi all
    me(plumber),wife and kids from london,r going to live in oz for a few years on a perminent resident visa to experience a bit of life downunder.
    with the capital from the sale of our house we want to buy a house to rent out.
    please give me some thoughts,
    should i

(a) buy a uk 2 storey house with 1 bedroom,1 bathroom,lounge,kitchen,back garden,for £133,000 gbp, which will be rentable for £650 gbp per month,less 10% agent letting fees,less gov taxes…

or(b)buy a property(or 2 )in vic near melbourne to rent out…

i have no idea what is available in oz as i have never been,

we will be going on a one way ticket jan 2004.

and i will be looking for a plumbing job straight away.

could you give me some ideas in or around melbourne

thanx

rday

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

I’d check some of the more common internet sites like http://www.realestate.com.au or http://www.domain.com.au to give you an idea of what you can get in Melbourne for around $300k. You should get more than 1 bedroom with luck.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

G’day rdadrday from a fellow Pom

Firstly $133 GBP (sorry my keyoard doesnt have the Pounds sign) seems very cheap. I still have a few properties in Bournemouth and the area is almost equivialent to London prices. If you havent been here yet i would personally settle in, find you feet and then decide. I have come across many a fellow Pom who came here on a 1-way ticket and then purchased another to go back. I have been in Oz for 11 years and would never go back other than for holiday but i am in Qld.

Cheers Richard
    [email protected]

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Balance of what I was going to say was you will have no problem in finding work with a trade like you have. If any problems come upto Brisbane we have a queue a mile long of people wanting a reliable plumber. Anyway whatever you decide i am sure you will enjoy it just might miss the warm beer and the Saturday soccer for a week or two. Good Luck

Cheers Richard
    [email protected]

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of rdayrdayrdayrday
    @rdayrday

thanks

please tell me what neg gearing

and

11 second rule

means.

Profile photo of Ash_2Ash_2
    Participant
    @ash_2

Hi Rday,

I have no idea of investing in the UK.

However,I beleieve that Australia is the place to invest,if one has money to start !

Also try the website: http://www.property.com.au

Good luck

Ash

Profile photo of NaughtyJonnyNaughtyJonny
    @naughtyjonny

quote:

thanks

please tell me what neg gearing

and

11 second rule

means.

Negative gearing is simply writing off any loss you make against your taxable income. For instant, I borrow $100,000 to buy a house. I pay $5,000 in interest, another $2,000 in government charges (rates, etc) and another $1,000 in sundry expenses (allowable taxable deductions).

I rent out the house for $100 per week. At the end of the year I have made $5,200.

So, I’ve spent $8,000 in order to make $5,200. As a result, I’ve lost $2,800 on the deal (obviously hoping to make a capital gain later. What negative gearing does is allow me to claim that $2,800 as a tax deduction.

As for the 11 second rule, this is simply a way to determine whether you can get a 10.4% return on investment.

If a house rents for $100 per week, you should half the amount per week and add three zeros to it to see if it’s a worthwhile investment. So – a property that will rent for $100 should cost around $50,000 for that 10% return.

(It should really be called the 1.1 second rule, cause it doesn’t take 11 seconds to figure out :))

As for your London place, sure it’s only 1BR, but I’d be inclined to keep it. London, Sydney, New York – while they’re overpriced, once you get out of one of those markets it’s difficult getting back in.

Profile photo of rdayrdayrdayrday
    @rdayrday
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘uk or oz ip’ is closed to new replies.