All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Steel Homes: Do they creak?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Absolutely everybody I speak to about steel framed houses tells me the same thing: “I’ve heard they’re really noisy, creaking all the time”, but I’ve yet to ask someone who actually lives in one. Do any of you learned investors live in such a structure or do you know someone who does? I’m so disillusioned with the idea of an edible investment that I would like to purchase only steel framed houses, although I had a good talk to an expert termite inspector who gave me some encouragement about my wooden ones.
    His management process involves several baits that are monitored bi-monthly. It costs about $40/month but hopefully it will give me the peace of mind that I need to keep the property.
    Thanks in advance,
    J

Profile photo of smyshyrsmyshyr
    @smyshyr

HI there,

I grew up in the tropics and all the houses up ther are steel framed or reinforced steel to be cyclone and termite resistant.

We lived in our place for about 10 years and I cant remember it ever creaking! (even during high winds)

If you are thinking about wooden frames I would try a termite-proof hardwood (yes such things DO exist) such as Jarrah. I lived in Perth for 5 yrs and all the houses there that are not double-brick are jarrah framed.

I did read somewhere (no doubt hardwood propaganda), that during a fire sometimes steel roof frames can melt and the roof collapses (and by implication the wooden ones didnt collapse), but ud have to check this out for yourself I guess.

Good luck
    K

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Thanks K, I always thought it to be one of those “urban myths”. I know my hardwood home gives out some incredible crack noises occasionally! Some builders use Cypress pine, which is supposed to resist termites (theoretically cypress heartwood, so I’m not sure how you are supposed to tell if youv’e been given heartwood[?])
    I’ve read that they have new treatment for wood now that is acceptable for building houses. Probably not cca treatment, as that’s allegedly been found to leach arsenic to the surface.
    Pity we cant use all those nasty organochlorines that we used to!
    J

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

steel roof will collapse long before it melts. with no wood to burn, what would burn that hot that it would cause the roof to collapse?

steel is great, looked at building one few years ago.

Profile photo of spider_2spider_2
    @spider_2

Gidday doogs,
    We live in a perfectly good three/four bedroom steel framed shed. Our temperature range is extreme from -4 to 44 degrees. It does expand and contract on the average day whether it is winter or summer. Usually this tends to occur at night when we have the largest temperature variation or in the morning when it is heating up. You do get use to it and we don’t find it annoying. Comparison would be if you lived on a busy street; After a while you don’t hear the traffic. We have just started plans to build our house and you guessed it,,,, It will be made from steel. As for termites, they will eat anything if the are hungry enough. The only jarrah that we have found not to be on their menu is in excess of forty year old floor boards from the tray of a truck that have been saturated with fuel or oil. Termites will eat through concrete to get to soft wood or green wood if they can smell it. Test your area by getting some wood pieces and placing them on the ground. Pour water over them and leave them for a couple of months undisturbed. Turn them over and check after this time. It is not a hard and fast rule but we have had a lot of success with this method.
    Good luck
    Spider

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Steel Homes: Do they creak?’ is closed to new replies.