All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Good return, but old house – still good?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of davidedavide
    @davide

I have been offered what appears to be a good property in a medium sized regional township. $203,000 for an 80 year old weatherboard house split into two residences with tenants producing $295 pw combined.

I am just attending to the inspections for structure etc. But the age worries me. If it weren’t for the income/price, I wouldn’t even be bothering. Is my attitude wrong? Does anyone have an opinion or experience about weighing up age against return?

Cheers…DE

Profile photo of EskapeEskape
    @eskape

Hi Davide,

Sometimes the “Oldies” are more structurally sound than the newer stuff.
    I guess the “11 second solution” and your due diligence will take care of your decision irrespective of it’s age-gut feelings apart.

Have a great day

Robert

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Profile photo of dr housedr house
    Participant
    @dr-house

If its structurally sound (build inspection), they can be great renovators, and often have a lot of character.
    As long as its not in need of having to replace just about everything.

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Davide,

Are you buying this with the strategy of capital gains or positive cashflow?

Using the “11 second solution” this ppty is far from a good return:

rent div by 2 = $147.50

$147.50 x 1000 = $147,500

annual rent = $15,340

Therefore, I probably wouldn’t pay any more that about $150,000 as I buy for cashflow.

If you are buying for capital gain, then this is a different story, and it just might be a “diamond in the rough”.

As far as the age of it goes, as long as you add into your sums around 5% of annual rent, for maintenance costs, and if it still fits your criteria when you include management fees, vacancies etc, then go for it.

Good luck,[:)]

Del

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Good return, but old house – still good?’ is closed to new replies.