All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Buying sight unseen

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of entelechyentelechy
    @entelechy

Hi Forum,
    I notice a lot of your deals are in rural/regional areas. Surely you don’t fly out in your helicopter to check out the area[:D]
    I have been running around in circles in Sydney[:I], although I’ve seen some good deals in country locations it’s difficult to visit them, make sure it’s going to remain tenented, what if it needs reno’s? What if the local industry dies,etc. I’d appreciate hearing any comments. Have you ever bought sight unseen?
    Thanks,Bob

Profile photo of dennisdennis
    @dennis

In years past I have bought quite a lot of property, but never sight unseen.
    In my opinion you need to develop a feel for the area and then visit prior to buying. it’s possible to eliminate many properties just from arms length research. If something looks really good, surely the airfare (or other transport) should not be a deterent.[:)]

Profile photo of entelechyentelechy
    @entelechy

Thanks Dennis,
    That’s what I thought. I just see others talking about buying one a month or whatever all over the place while they have a day job, plus the running around that has to be done meanwhile. Love to hear more?

Profile photo of dennisdennis
    @dennis

Entelechy, In my opinion, before buying you need to be an expert in the area, and you can’t be an expert everywhere. You can’t pick a winning horse with a pin.[8)]

Profile photo of dynamicduodynamicduo
    @dynamicduo

Hi entelechy,
    On a recent trip to inspect properties we had SOURCED on the net,one that we were interestd in became ‘under contract’ from another investor ‘sight unseen’ and was an absolute ‘lemon’ compared to a dozen other properties in similar price we viewed that day.We went on to purchase 4 of the ones we saw and wouldn’thave touched the lemon with a ten foot pole.
    It reinforced thaT WE WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY NEVER puchase property ‘sight unseen’.
    Brett

“A true warrior sees misfortune as a challenge not as a curse”

Profile photo of deauziedeauzie
    @deauzie

Hi

What area’s did you buy in ?
    And what sort of money did you pay ?

thanks

Profile photo of entelechyentelechy
    @entelechy

I expected more response on this topic.
    Just to keep it going, We have done a lot of travelling around the country and always used to stop and look at RE window displays or drive past For Sale signs and say ” Who’d live ‘ere?”
    Looking back at those $30k props, aahhhh, well, you know the rest!
    I’m just curious how good investors find the info and rental demands, employment and growth prospects, etc (sounds just like researching shares doesn’t it?)
    What can you add?

Profile photo of Kirby319Kirby319
    @kirby319

I cant speak for others but I use a blindfold and a dart.

I like to call it due dilligence.

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

hehe,

yeah, the internet, a blindfold, a calculator, the telephone (lots) a building inspector (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) research, (prices? area? vacancy rates? demand? rental assessment from competing REagent? prices for management? etc etc etc ) a fax machine, local knowledge (see ‘telephone’), statistics, a lawyer, a chequebook, fellow investors, examination of worst and best case scenarios

cheers-
    Mini

http://www.vocalbureau.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Buying sight unseen’ is closed to new replies.