All Topics / The Treasure Chest / farAway and problems with agent

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of charkchark
    Participant
    @chark

all,

I want to invest in interstate, and I have heard many stories about buying property where you can not drive up there to inspect when problems arise.

To cut story short, pretty much come down to an agent is trying to rip you off every now and then, by saying this and that need to be fixed, true or not we don’t know , as we can not go up there to inspect.

After hearing the story I quickly checked with my sis, as she has a ip in Queensland, she said every now and then agent do call and billed them.
    There is 2 examples which she told me about,
    1. the window is broken.
    2. a tenent went on holiday, and some body told him to block the sink and turn on a bit of water, so when they are back they will not have the odor from the sewage. Any way they went off and have not turn off the tap properly , so when they were back the whole house was flooded. And this cause them quite a bit.

My questions are:
    does this happen to you guys?
    how would you over come with this?
    changing agents might end up the same as they probably playing the same games.
    How can you tell whether the problem is genuine?

please advise, I really want to invest in Q.

Chark

Profile photo of DavidUDavidU
    @davidu

Hi

If you can’t sleep at night because of what MAY or MAY NOT happen to your interstate property.. don’t invest interstate.

My 2 cents

David U

Profile photo of davidfemiadavidfemia
    @davidfemia

Chark,

Perhaps insist on Photos. These days a digital camera should be part of any property managers office, but its often not the case.

Do some reference checks, and speak to other oweners. This will give you a good idea if the manager is doing the right thing.

David Femia

Femia Property Group
    Property Investment Consultants
    http://www.femiapropertygroup.com.au

Profile photo of hotchocolatehotchocolate
    @hotchocolate

I have just bought a property in Qld and live in the UK.

My agent came with good personal references, but I am thinking of writing to the tenants and giving them my email address –

a) so they know I’m a real person and not a company or similar and so may have more respect for the property
    b) in case they get bad service from the agent, they can let me know.

I don’t want to become best friends with them, but I think a method of contact will be useful, and could also be used to check out any perceived dodgy claims.

I have rented before and moved out of properties because the agent was slack about fixing things. They would always blame the owner but I often wished I could contact the owner and hear it straight from them.

Any thoughts on the problems this contact might cause would be welcome, as I haven’t done it yet.

Choc

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘farAway and problems with agent’ is closed to new replies.