All Topics / The Treasure Chest / 4% depreciation

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of birdmanbirdman
    Participant
    @birdman

Hi Everyone,

I have managed to find a property constructed in 1987 that falls into the 4% depreciation bracket that looks pretty good numbers wise. I would ask my Quantity Surveyor this question, but he is on holidays at the moment, so thought I would open it up here.

Lets say the building cost $100,000 to build in 1987, will my building depreciation be:

a) 4% of the 100K, or
    b) 4% of what is left of its depreciating value over the last 17 years, or
    c) 4% of some other value

Any input would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Profile photo of willwill
    @will

Hi Stephen,

You will find that the depreciation schedule for the building cost using your example of 100K in 1987, begins in 1987. As the on paper value of the property is depreciated to reach zero in 25 years @ 4% or zero in 40 years @ 2.5%. So you have around 8 years of depreciation left. This is also something to consider in your projected cash flow for the property. Yes 4% is good initially as it increases your cash flow however the amount of time these properties (1985 to 1987) have left to claim the building write off is reducing. And you don’t want to miss out on that write off in the future!

Cheers
    Will

Profile photo of davidfemiadavidfemia
    @davidfemia

Hello Stephen,

You will also find that 4% depreciation is allocated only to holiday or tourism accomodation. Some buildings have a combination of both, however, you may want to speak to your financier as a precaution. Banks generally dont like serviced or leasehold apartments.

David Femia

Femia Property Group
    Property Investment Consultants
    http://www.femiapropertygroup.com.au

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

There’s a “window” between 1985 and 1987 where the depreciation rate for normal rental properties is 4% over 25 years. Whereas those built after 1987 are 2.5% over 40 years. You are correct though in that holiday and tourism accomodation is all at 4%.
    In answer to the original question the depreciation will 4% of 100k for the next 8 or 9 years. (check with your accountant/QS)

Rod.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

$100,000 construction cost back in 1987 would be a substantial size property. Be careful not to over estimate what you think the property cost to build back in 1987.

Construction prices have gone up incredibly since then.

Sounds good though.

Petters

Profile photo of birdmanbirdman
    Participant
    @birdman

Well I bought the property (settled 2 weeks ago) and got the depreciation schedule back. The building cost came in at $83K, and this year I get a $4K depreciation allowance (not bad for having only had it for 3 weeks before the end of financial year), next year it is close to $10K and goes down from there each year onwards.

After tax, this will be $1K per year +ve cashflow. Not much, but appreciation will be good.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘4% depreciation’ is closed to new replies.