All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Going Property fulltime?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of LeighaLeigha
    @leigha

Hi, everyone my name is Leigha. I’m 24, my husband is 27 we are parents of two children. Currently I am a fulltime mother/homemaker my husband runs our IT company bringing in 120k into our household.
    In the last 12mths we have purchased two investment properties which are currently being rented, without any renovations one of these properties has just been valued at 230k and our purchase price only 12mths ago was 180k! We can definately see the potential in the market, I guess what I’m asking is how do we go about taking to property investment fulltime i.e replacing my husbands income?
    Do we just forget the IT company start our own property company?
    If anyone has any advice it would be very much appreciated, by the way GREAT website…..very informative and easy to use! I will definately be refering it to friends [:)]
    Cheers, Leigha

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Leigha,

The first question you have to ask yourself is how much income do you want.

If your answer is $120,000 before tax then you will need to generate the same through property.

Some quick basic calculations.

$120,000 = $2307 per week

If you buy some positive geared properties then lets say you make after costs $50 per week on each.

To achieve same income you would need about 46 of these properties. Now you may get some tax benefits due to travel, depreciation interest etc which will reduce your tax paybale on your $120,000.

You will have to ask Steve how to achieve this number of properties earning a passive income of $50 pw.

Then again keeping your income going for a few years and building a portfolio of growth properties may be your way to go.

Truthly though you have lots of options.

To achieve the income you want you would probably need about 10 high value properties unencumbered or as I said about 46 props positive geared.

My thoughts.

Petters

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi Leigha,
    Welcome to the forum! [:)]
    My hubby doesn’t work for himself, but is also in the computer industry. He works bringing in the dough so that we can pay bills and have funds with which to invest.
    We have also two lovely children, and I am a full time stay home mum, and I have some degrees which I could fall back on if I choose to return to work.
    We are currently reorganizing our investment properties, but it sounds like you already have approx 50K equity in your investment property due to capital growth that you could draw on to fund more investments.
    What is the other property doing? Is it negatively geared?

quote:

Do we just forget the IT company start our own property company?

What are your goals? We are working on this ourselves, but it’s really FANTASTIC to see you starting so early. 27 years old, brining in 120K p.a is a really good income to start with.

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]

There are no problems, only solutions

Profile photo of dr housedr house
    Participant
    @dr-house

We are now up to seven properties and NO WAY able to stop working and live off the income generated.
    I think property is a long term investment but certainly doesn’t generate huge cashlow, and definitely not enough to achieve a replacement on your current income, you need to think through very carefully as to how you could achieve this with property. Only, I think, if you have minimal debt left to pay.
    eg two of my positive cash properties generate nett 40,000 per annum, aquisition cost, 525,000, 8% return, enough to cover interest and other minor costs.
    my husband is also self employed in his own business and I get a very good income.
    I think we all have this dream, but realistically there is no get rich quick scheme.
    You also have to remember that we have had a huge property boom in the last few years, this may not continue.
    Having said all that, there is only one regret, not starting investing at a young age, I was too busy travelling the world and enjoying my life, I didn’t even think of the future.

Profile photo of OPMOPM
    @opm

A similar thread is posted on Jan Somer’s forum.
    Have a look at it here:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8779

It may give you some ideas on what other people are doing about it. Making the transition to a full time investor can be scary and you’ll need to have some tolerance to risk as well as being well informed.

Another good thread is this one by Brenda who explains how she bought 20 IP’s in 5 years:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8756

You’ll find lots of other good posts on this forum, but beware – you may be sitting up all night trawling through the site and filling your head with information!

Profile photo of LeighaLeigha
    @leigha
    Quote:
    Leigha,

Morning! Well thankyou all for your advice, basically our ultimate goal is to achieve total financial freedom in ten years through property investment or at least have our money working for us! Our short term goal is just to increase our p/portfolio!
    Definately keeping my husbands income for the next few years while we increase our property portfolio does seem like a safer bet.I think my problem is I see the financial rewards others are having and i think we should be able to achieve this tomorrow!! Not realising it probably took those people years to establish their portfolio..
    We are just about to refinance both properties, the second property is currently paying for it self. Not sure whether to renovate and re-sell it or knock down the first property and build six townhouses?

Thanks Quentin for the Jan Somers thread!We have actually got her books and her software……amongst numerous other investment tools! We are all too familiar with sitting up all night overloading our brains with information!
    Will definately check out some more posts on the forum….
    Cheers, Leigha

[:)]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Going Property fulltime?’ is closed to new replies.