All Topics / The Treasure Chest / How Much for Expenses?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi All,

Dizzy, my head is spinning…..

I think I have information overload!!

Seriously though, I am learning a lot through this site, books and lots more.

My question is, If I make x amount of dollars pa on my IP, what percentage of the amount would you take off for expenses? I have heard of 30% being quoted, does this sound right??

Would you then work out the 11 second solution (as a guideline) after this amount is taken off? (am I expecting miracles!!)

I hope I am making sense! would love to have your opinions.

Thanks Dot[:)]

Profile photo of truebluetrueblue
    @trueblue

You may be talking about 2 completely different issues. The tax rate may be 30% ie if you are on a fairly high income bracket. However, expenses for an IP are based on actual expenses. Hence they vary. For -ve geared properties, these can exceed 100%.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi TrueBlue,

No, It’s not tax. I guess I was a bit quick to ask the first question, cause I could work this out by estimating:insurance, management fees, rates etc.

The real question is do I take these costs off the rental price BEFORE I allow for the 11 second solution or after?

Hope I don’t sound too dumb[:I]

Thanks Dot[:)]

Profile photo of OPMOPM
    @opm

Hi Dorothy,

I think what you’re asking is the difference between the gross yield and the net yield.

If you deduct the annual costs of the property (maintenance, rates, agent commission, insurance, body corporate etc) from the gross annual rent and then work out the yield, it will be lower.

Example of gross yield:
    Purchase price = $150,000
    Annual rent = $13,000 ($250 pw x 52)
    Gross annual income = $13,000
    Gross yield = 13,000 / 150,000 x 100 = 8.6%

Example of net yield:
    Purchase price = $150,000
    Annual rent = $13,000 ($250 pw x 52)
    Annual outgoings = $3,000
    Net annual income = $10,000 ($13,000 – $3,000)
    Net yield = 10,000 / 150,000 x 100 = 6.6%

Forget about the 11 second solution.
    It’s really just a method of seeing if something is a 10.4% gross yield.

You should be working out the gross yield by dividing the annual rent by the purchase price, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

To get an even more accurate figure, you could work out the true cost of the property by also adding onto the purchase price the stamp duty and borrowing costs.

Generally speaking, a gross yield of 8% or more is quite decent when you consider what interest rates are at the moment. Of course any depreciation benefits will also increase your returns on paper.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi Quentin,

Thanks for being so thorough, this helps me a lot.

regards Dot [:D]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘How Much for Expenses?’ is closed to new replies.