All Topics / The Treasure Chest / How many offers have you made?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of oscaroscar
    @oscar

Hi Guys[;)]

I thought it would be a good idea if everyone can put down how many offers they make a week? I have made 10 so far this week.

Cheers[:)]

Oscar

Profile photo of MathewMathew
    Participant
    @matymathew

Oscar,

What type of offers are you making and what is your expectancy rate of them being accepted?

Cheers,

Mathew.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

There are two schools of thought on making offers.

School #1 – Volume Means Success

The thought here is that the more offers you make the better. Usually it’s a matter of maybe one or two in a hundred are accepted because the price offered is so low.

School #2 – It’s All About Creating A Deal

This school believes that low-balling is a bad idea as the chances of success are low. Time is an investor’s most important asset and as such, undertaking an activity that has a 98% chance of failing seems futile.

Instead a deal can be sculpted based on the needs of all concerned and as such has a much higher chance to get over the line.

So What Do You Do?

Why not do both?

Personally I belong in the second school because I believe creating a network of agents will lead to longer term success than a ‘wham bam here’s my offer man’ approach.

Yet I still make cheap offers for deals I’m not so thrilled about where I feel that either I or the agent is not interested in forming a long-term relationship.

To answer your question – I couldn’t tell you an actual number, but there are currently:

1. Multiple offers we receive for property we own and which is unofficially for sale (for the right price).

2. Offers we make on wrap properties (yes – contrary to popular rumours, I am still very much active in the wrap market).

3. Offers on multi-million ‘big deal’ +ve cashflow commercial property.

Final thoughts… you won’t catch a fish if you don’t have a line in the water.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of oscaroscar
    @oscar

Hi

I love that last line Steve. And that is the point I’m trying to make. If you are not making any offers, you are not in the GAME.

I always form some sort of relationship with agents before I make offers. Also, I believe both “schools of thought” work. I personally make multiple offers on properties (e.g. Multiple Choice type offers for the vendor, Offer A, B, C). This will include a low offer with a quick settlement (but not low enough to be considered low-balling), a generous offer in terms of price but with a long settlement(6mths +) along with other concessions (e.g. access to property, vendor to renovate etc), and finally another offer depending on the vendors circumstance. But to do all this, I ask a million questions to the estate agent and vendor. For example, a few days ago I spent over 1 hour with an owner of a property in Seaford with the agent hanging around. I learnt, in that 1 hour, everything I need to know. So now I make my offer according to this information. (Looks like I might pick this one up with a 6 month settlement and vendor to renovate parts of the house). This is when I create a deal.

All in all, unless you increase the amount of offers you make, it will take a very very long time to find a good deal. My expectancy rate is low but I receieve a lot of counter offers. Probably 1 in 40.

Hope to see others participate in this topic.

Cheers[8D]

Oscar

Profile photo of insiderinsider
    @insider

When you say you make low offers, what do you define as low?? 70%, 80%, 90% of FMV.
    To me if you are using JV partners the only way to really get decent returns for your partners is to get a decent price. If you buy near market your mark up becomes to an extreme where it makes it hard for the wrappee to re-finance. If someone can tell me otherwise please feel free.

If you pay close to retail you also expose yourself to heavier risk then would be otherwise if you buy at discounts. I think a minimum of 10% needs to be achieved before you even consider a deal, especially in the current climate.

The way I see it whats the point of looking at a houses if you can’t get the price you want. The agents also get annoyed when you look at 10 houses and you don’t buy any because your offers are to low. I think faxing offers is probably the best way. It may pay to tell the agent you acknowledge the offer is low but you do expect counter offers.

Participant
    @matymathew

There are more ways to get a good deal than trying to low ball. If you have done your research on the area and spoken to enough agents, you should know what the approximate FMV of a property is to within about 10K.

If the property is around that price or under, then to me a low ball offer is not warranted especially if it is under. I would be more concerned about getting the settlement terms that I want rather than try to haggle for an unecessary discount.

If on the other hand the property was way overpriced, say 30 or 40k, then it would generally fall out of my personal criteria and I move on to one that is a lot more realistic. Unless there was a redevelopment opportunity or something that justified a higher price.

I don’t have any hard and fast rules like I must offer X% of askiing price etc. and I take each property on its merits. I do know that I have better things to do with my time than spend hours preparing and faxing 40 or 50 offers a week with the expectation of getting 1 or 2 accepted which is where I agree with Steve’s strategy.

I do like what Oscar said about making 2 or 3 different offers for price and terms on a particular property that I was interested in as it does give you more options to work with.

Cheers,

Mathew.

@insider

Steve in your wrap example you have a purchase price of 80% FMV. Do you consider this low ball.
    What % discount to FMV do you consider low ball.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

quote:

Steve in your wrap example you have a purchase price of 80% FMV. Do you consider this low ball.
    What % discount to FMV do you consider low ball.

Which wrap example?

Is it 80% FMV, or am I getting an 80% (LVR) loan?

Anything offer less than say 70% of FMV that is also made on a willy-nilly is something that I would consider a lowball.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

@insider

Sorry Steve my mistake.

Mathew you say you couldn’t be bothered wasting time writing out 40 offers. I ask you how long do you thing this will take. How long is it going to take you to inspect 5 houses. You still have no gurantee they are going to accept your offer if you inspect. I think faxing offers is a good way to seek out motivated sellers. It is very hard to tell on the surface if the seller is motivated or not. It could be listed above market value but still be open to offers a lot lower. I think you are restricting your market by only looking at houses which fit your price criteria. Who knows the one down the road listed 10K more may be more flexible then the one you are looking at for 10K less.

Participant
    @matymathew

Hi Insider,

I think you misunderstood my post.

Let me clarify things by saying that I work very closely with 5 or 6 agents in the areas that I currently invest. I get excellent feedback from them on vendors situations and we work together to put good offers on properties that they feel have the greater chance of being accepted.

If they know a vendor that has listed above FMV but that are confident that a lower offer will be considered, then I make a lower offer. I just don’t go shooting off low ball offers at every property I see as I feel it simply wastes time and upsets agents.

I’m sorry if you feel I am restricting myself, however I do still have a fulltime job, a daughetr to look after, a business to run as well as building my property investments. This is why I spend my time putting together offers on properties that I feel have better than a 1 in 40 chance of acceptance.

Cheers,

Mathew.

@insider

What sought of success rate have you had using this approach Mathew?? What sought of discounts have you been able to achieve??

Participant
    @matymathew

I invest in a partnership with a friend and now business partner. So far we have bought 5 properties ranging from a small development site, some reno/flips and 1 wrap. In buying these properties we put out about 20 offers in total over about a 6 month period.

Since we are just starting out, we are taking things slow in order to build up to a full time business. Our discounts have usually been between 0% and 10% as these deals were right on the money and would not last long. In one instance we have bought for approx 20% discount as this came on good advice from our agent.

All reno deals have so far returned over 100% ROI and our wrap deal has achieved a 70% cash on cash return.

Cheers,

Mathew.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How many offers have you made?’ is closed to new replies.