Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of tryingtrying
    @trying

if a company has assets held within a trustee and it sells the assets how much cgt does it pay ,or is there none ? does the company just pay 30% tax if the rest of the profit from the sale gets distributed to the benafieciers then they pay tax on it ,is that right
    if the trustee has built up eqity in its assets can the company borrow more money to invest in another ip ?????? comfused

Profile photo of tryingtrying
    @trying

thanks for your reply so if i wanted the trust to borrow money to invest than we would have to give a guarantee .and also what if the company has made no money ,does that matter ,you could just use the eqity in the assets already there ??????

Profile photo of scratchmescratchme
    @scratchme

Hi Trying,

One thing to keep in mind is that if you have property (or land) in the trust you will have to pay land tax on the total value of your holdings. There is no threshold as for individuals.

This isn’t really a problem since the advantages far outway the disadvantages. (just something to be aware of.)

APIM

Australian Property Software

Coming very very soon…

Profile photo of tryingtrying
    @trying

i was told to open the trust i was so to speak giving a new threshold in land tax ,as i have already 4 ips in my and partners name ,so to create a new $260,000 i could put more ips into
    until that reaches its limits ,[?]is that right

Profile photo of RedRed
    @red

Hi Trying,

One thing to keep in mind is that if you have property (or land) in the trust you will have to pay land tax on the total value of your holdings. There is no threshold as for individuals.

Are you sure about this, I was under the understanding that a trust was treated the same as an individual??

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

There are usually trust grouping provisions for land tax that means splitting entities offers little benefit.

Still, as the system is not self-assessed, it’s a little bit of ‘catch me if you can’. I’d only set up another entity if the asset protection made it necessary.

Michael – thanks for your excellent posts.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘cgt’ is closed to new replies.