All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Oversupplied market? Falacy or Reality?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of f_j_of_j_o
    @f_j_o

My financial advisor tells me that it’s a fallacy that the property market has been oversupplied, especially in the inner 10km radius of the Melbourne CBD. What do you think? I’ve had reservations trusting him due to the belief that there is a huge demand for inner city apartments, but yet when I drive by the Colonial/Docklands area, I still see many units empty and heaps of For Lease signs. Am I not looking hard enough?

Also, as a side question…. is the Natinal Bank’s HomeSide business bankrupt or not? Again my financial advisor is saying they are still in business (!!!!). I feel large alarm bells at the moment. Please help. Thanks

Profile photo of MJKMJK
    @mjk

I recenty read an article from the Financial review which suggested that vacancy rates in Melb CBD apartments are at 7%. Most property people advise not getting involved in areas above 3-4% Also rents are way down and there are thousands of new apartments still to hit the market. Be very careful. Why not look in the suburbs. Land is not duplicatable in established areas.

MJK

Profile photo of MarcoMarco
    @marco

Hi TheGill_1963,

I used homeside last week. No problems from a borrowers point of view.

Cheers,

Marco

Profile photo of f_j_of_j_o
    @f_j_o

MJKMJK,

7%!? So 93% of rentals are taken? Is that what you meant? If that’s so, then 7% sounds like a high demand to me, or am I reading it backwards? Are you then saying that out of the majority of rental units/etc in the inner CBD, that only 7% are filling up? Please explain. Thanks

Marco,
    HUH!? Surely you have read the newspapers for the last 2 years!? “NAB $2bn wipe out”, “NAB to cut losses with HomeSide”, etc etc… Are you saying their back? Have I missed something?

Thanks guys

Profile photo of tobycantobycan
    @tobycan

Fernando, wait 2 or 3 years untill all the off the plan units come on the market

Profile photo of PropertyInvestorPropertyInvestor
    @propertyinvestor

Hola Fernando,

I work as a Property Investment Consultant in Melbourne. The reason for me being on this forum is to talk about my passion – Property, I’m not here seeking business. So what I say will be unbiased and to the point.
    So let’s start by answering some of your questions:

Fernando your financial advisor has told you it’s a fallacy that the property market has been oversupplied – Not all true! yes there are many suburbs and also certain pockets of the CBD where there is not much construction activity and there is some demand, but then there are other pockets where you can count more cranes than cars.
    Your financial advisor is probably advising you on the basis of a government study that says Melbourne will need a further 420,000 new dwellings in the next 20 years to supply the demand.

MJKMJK is correct in saying that the vacancy rates for Melb CBD is 7%. Fernando is also right in saying that it means that 93% is leased, but think about it a little more – 7%? what does it represent as in a total of units? 500? that’s a lot of units vacant if you ask me.

Let’s also put to rest about a vacancy rate issue at the Docklands – there isn’t one!
    There are only two precints in the Docklands where some construction has completed (in other words settled) – 1. Mirvac’s Yarra’s Edge and 2. MAB’s New Quay.
    Let me tell you that there are only 3×3 bedroom and 1×2 bedroom apartments available for rent in this whole area as of two weeks ago.
    Always do your own research and don’t depend on others thoughts (including mine).
    Ring Metro Real Estate at New Quay and also ring Mirvac and ask them for the rental availbility list.

Fernando – does your financial advisor invest in property?

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Mannie.

“It’s too late to go back and make a brand new start, but from today you make a brand new end”.

Profile photo of Gus_2Gus_2
    @gus_2

Hi Fernando,

Vacancy rates are not the only thing to look out for. Yield is essential. My understanding is that many appartments have been rented but at cut price rates in order to get ‘someone’ in there to help pay the mortgage. If you only get 2-4% rental yield then you have to find the other 2.5-4.5% yourself. I suspect that many investers who have bought into the Docklands are relying heavily on negative gearing benefits to make the sums work. The bulk of these benefits only last 5 years then your on your own. I also understand that the body corperate fees etc are quite high. This is what some friends have told me based on their current rental experience in the Docklands presinct. They like the area and the complex I must say.

I also agree with other contributors in the sence that it will only get more difficult when all the other stock comes on the market to get a tenant and the yield. Capital gain may also be difficult in an oversupplied market – particularly given the trend recently for investors to fuel demand and they will be seeking some depreciation benefits which may not exist on a 5 year old appartment V a brand new one. Also I’m not sure I entirely agree that banks are happy to lend if the security is a inner city appartment, particularly in the Docklands. A family member who is quite senior in one of the big 4 banks has indicated that the lending criteria ie the LVR the bank is prepared to lend to is lower – in other words you may need a bigger deposit because the bank feels it is a riskier venture.

Anyway some thoughts for what it’s worth

Gus

@propertyinvestor

Hi Gus,

Cut price rates?
    Some yes just like in many other suburbs (for many different reasons), but the majority come from certain sales agents telling their investor clients that they will get a much higher return. Some provide their clients rental appraisals that are just too high. It goes back to what I always say “do your own homework”! All it takes is to look at the internet, paper or call agents in the area. Believe me, many people do not do that.

As in yields in this area, the best you could do is 5% at present. It averages at about 3.5%, which represents a bad return. You really only rely on future Capital Growth here.

I don’t believe that the area will have a suffocation or oversupply of apartments. Even though it is still 12 years from all to be completed. The residential part of the Docklands will only be 52%.
    It is expected that 6,000 residents will be living in the area in the next few years. Keep in mind that there will only be 8,000 apartments available.
    I believe currently the number of residents is well under 1,000.

NAB Headquarters once completed next year is expected to have 4,500 workers. Don’t forget Waterfront City (almost $1 Billion) even though only about 80% of it will be completed by 2006 (Commonwealth Games) it will mostly consist of world class retail, commercial and public entertainment. Don’t forget other things like Central City Studios, The Ferris Wheel, Digital Harbour, Bureau of Meteorology, Moomba, Times Square (no name for this yet),etc.

Docklands Authority want this area to be rich and visited by many tourists. The place to go!

I don’t want to go on and on. I myself have invested in the area.

In regards to LVR’s – First of all LVR’s are quickly being phased out. What banks are now using is;
    NICL (Nickel) Net Income Commitment Level.

Total Debt Commitment

Total Net Income – Living Expenses

In regards to a bank’s risk profile for inner city apartments is based on many points of criteria. Banks (in general) have their criteria attached to postcodes regarding inner city. I know the 3000 postcode is a big issue with banks where in general the best you can get from them is 70%.
    Also remember it is also difficult to get finance from many banks with anything smaller than 50 square metres in size.
    The Docklands is not the CBD it is a suburb of it’s own with it’s own postcode 3008. I personally have not seen or heard of any issues in regards to the lending towards apartments in the Docklands. Of course all banks are different.

Another important thing to look at when investing in this area is the price per square metre. Note: do not include balcony size.

Gus, that was a very good post, as you brought up some very good points.

I hope this helps Fernando even more.

Regards,
    Mannie.

“It’s too late to go back and make a brand new start, but from today you make a brand new end”.

Profile photo of MarcoMarco
    @marco

Hi f_j_o,

I’m more interested in who the loan is underwritten by than who’s logo is on the paperwork.

Keep on doing what you’re doing!

Marco

Profile photo of MJKMJK
    @mjk

F J O,

To answer your question 7% represents the empty units.Close to one in ten. That means competition for tenants is fierce. I would not like to be one of the ten forced to discount to a 3% yeild to get a tenant. Rule of thumb for many years has been no higher than 3% vacancy is acceptable.

MJK

Profile photo of f_j_of_j_o
    @f_j_o

FJO here.

Thanks guys! That is great information. Obviously I am a newbie and sharks love dummies like me. Never the less, I am serious about looking into this and I am reading…reading…talking…talking a lot all the time… so eventually I will make a good decision.

For now I’ll just sit on my laurals for around 1 or 2 years (more?) and see what happens. Most people I’ve talked to are doing the same thing.

For now… it’s looking at a good credit line, getting the house debt halved (or paid off) and then looking at investing into property…

Thanks again… and I’ll be around here reading all your posts. This is a great place.

“Why oh why didn’t I take the BLUE pill!?”

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Mannie,

Thanks for your post.

Most insightful!

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi,

I agree with Steve. Wow! From your post Mannie,
    I’m amazed at how banks re-invent themselves in order to maintain business. I have very little financial savvy, but imagine being the head of one of these creative banks, just blows my mind!

I know what happened with MIRVAC in Cheltenham and so many investors got burnt. Rental yields around the suburbs are struggling (from my research) so I don’t think inner suburbs would fare much better?
    I also was told to stay away from Inner CBD (is this because all the financial savvy people are getting in?). I must say, there is one thing to say for passive investing (ie Shares)for mothers and fathers!
    How many Inner CBD apartments are for sale at present? I think if one waits another year or two, we’ll see a lot more on the market. Remember it’s just been a seller’s market… so…the reverse is true.

Interesting posts
    Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]

There are no problems, only solutions

@propertyinvestor

Steve and Sooshie,

Thanks for the encouragement.

Mannie.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Oversupplied market? Falacy or Reality?’ is closed to new replies.