All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Helpful estate agents – are they having you on?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

In the course of phoning real estate agents in a town to which I’m planning a study trip, I’ve come across variations in the attitudes of estate agents.

All have been helpful, describing what properties are available and telling me a bit about the property and rental markets, etc (I won’t rely on this info, but it’s useful background).

However after I specified my requirements (approx 9% annual return, brick & tile, built after 1985, walking distance to everything, 2 or 3 br and a price range based on recent sales) one agent said ‘I’ll find you something for sure – just see me when you get there’.

This set alarm bells ringing – was he being very very helpful (and therefore better than the rest), or was he trying to recruit me as a ‘sucker’ to buy a slow-moving property.

I’m inclined to 1. Walk around the neighbourhood first. 2. See other agents first. 3. Then see him later. 4. To ensure I’m in control (and not him), I’d not want to make a decision here and then. Even if it’s a good deal and I want to go ahead, I’d still wander out, grab a quick meal break and come back in 30 min.

Any other ideas?

Profile photo of DavidUDavidU
    @davidu

Hi

Maybe this particular agent gets plenty of calls from wannabe ‘out of town’ investors who end up being a no show and is quite willing to help ONCE you show up.

Who knows?

My thoughts are if it’s a good deal, it’s a good deal… Just do your research first…This will mitigate the majority of your risk along with a good building and pest inspector that YOU choose not the agent.

Just my thoughts…

Cheers

David

Profile photo of OPMOPM
    @opm

I imagine the agent thinks you’re just shooting the breeze and will show you his/her stock when you actually prove you’re a serious buyer by coming to his town.
    No reason for alarm bells to start ringing – i’ve heard this statement said by many agents over the years – what they are basically saying is that you should come and visit them, and then they will show you any stock that fits your criteria.
    Just make sure that you’re not feeling pressured into making a written offer on the first day. Have a look at what’s available, do the sums, have a sleep and then consider submitting a written offer.

Profile photo of Stretch_2Stretch_2
    @stretch_2

Yeah Peter,

Real estate agents are like puppy dogs, dont let them boss you around. Take control of the situation. The agent will feel this and back off depending on his personality. Show little confidence and theyll give you the full sales pitch. Alternatively, your self confidence overrides their level of professionalism and they buckle at the knees.
    Our last purchase, the real estate agent ended up talking the vendor down to our second offer!! which was still $30K below their asking price!

There are those that LET it happen, and there are those that MAKE it happen!!

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi,

Offer him two free movie tickets, when he finds you the right house for the right price. That will throw him!

Cheers

A naughty Sooshie, who should be in bed sleeping. [|)]

There are no problems, only solutions

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

quote:

Offer him two free movie tickets, when he finds you the right house for the right price. That will throw him!

[:D]

It’s OK to be sceptical, but give the guy a go face to face and you’ll be able to tell how genuine he his.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Helpful estate agents – are they having you on?’ is closed to new replies.