All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Any thing gone wrong

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Pro investorPro investor
    Participant
    @pro-investor

Hi

Just wonder if anyone out ther has bought a property and in the last few days before settlement found out that that the building was sinking into the land and the building inspector didn’t pick up on it cause this has happened to me just wonder what you did and if you didn’t buy the house how much you lose from the deal.

Thanks Rob

Profile photo of dr housedr house
    Participant
    @dr-house

I had got archicentre involved (never again), similar issues, he didn’t pick up termite damaged floor boards and a few other things, cost $3000 to fix and extra time. I wrote numeroue letters etc about it and basically got told to P>o., they are not responsible for termite or pest inspections, I should have got pest control.
    I did point out that this was old damage and been picked up by any one but blind freddy if he had looked properly under the house.
    We now do our own inspections and you can do local TAFe courses to ckeck for this sort of thing.
    I am not sure what you mean by sinking into the ground, is it weatherboard, it may be just stumps or is it on soft ground.
    If the brickwork is cracked and windows moving, it means possible underpinning needed, big expense.
    Maybe get another building inspection, if it is a serious fault, can you sue the first inspector?
    I don’t know about the legal implications and pulling out of the contract, if the house has serious faults, this may end up the cheaper option

Profile photo of NathanNathan
    @nathan

Hi Robert,

At this stage of the game (a few days before settlment) you will find that the contract has become an unconditional contract. I would be talking to your solicitor straight away to explain the situation. Not settling (or buying the property as you put it would leave you open to losing your deposit + being sued by the vendor. You may also want to talk to your solicitor about sueing the building inspector as was suggested by Regina!

Good luck,

Nathan.

Profile photo of Gus_2Gus_2
    @gus_2

Hi Rob,

I had a friend who purchased a house in Melbourne’s outer eastern suburbs who also got an Archicentre inspection before he purchased the property. This turned out to be worthless. As my friend found out, their inspection was inaccurate and misrepresented the true state of the property. He had all sorts of problems (roting floor boards, leaking roof, faulty wiring and more)that the Archicentre report should have picked up. The cost of these errors are to some degree incalcuable – would he have still bought the property, could he have negotiated a better price factoring in the repairs required. To add to the disappointment my friend was unable to get any really adequate compensation for the losses as a result. I think he may have got a refund. Nathan points out, the real value of inspections (if they are done in a timely and proper manner)is your ability to negotiate an additional discount or avoid buying a money pit. It’s too late if you a day away from settlement.

Based on my friends experience I’d think twice about using Archicentre to look after my interests in these matters.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Any thing gone wrong’ is closed to new replies.