All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Technical hitch

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of PatriciaPatricia
    @patricia

I need help urgently. I live in Mandurah, and put in an offer on a new luxury apartment just nearing completion, on the canals. the price being 330.000. My idea was to rent it for a year, then sell, as it is sure to reach the 380.000/400.00 mark at that time. Even with atennant I would have to put in 700.00 a month, so by the end of the year I would need to cover around 360.000. Thus hopefully make 20,000 in whcih to put into some positive gearing homes. This is a gamble, but homes on the canals are rising almost weekly. Last night my agent came and said there was a hitch, as first person to offer had not been null and voided, and now wants the unit as he now has finance. My choice was to walk away, or let the agents fight it in court.
    Now, do I sigh, and say ‘just as well I’m out.” Hang in and go to court, in the event that I don’t want to lose the capital growth? Or do I let the agents offer me a sum to go quietly?
    Please help me make a choice. either here, or my email trishytee@hotmail, or even ring me 95862628

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for your post. Interesting problem you have there and it underlines the importance of due diligence in a potential acquisition.

Based on the numbers you have provided, I’d walk away. You have used some words in your post that I would think very carefully about.

That is:

quote:

This is a gamble, but homes on the canals are rising almost weekly.

It sounds to me like your ‘reasonable’ head is telling you that it’s a risk, maybe a big risk – while your greed gland is secreting wildly and tellling you to go for it so you don’t miss out.

Only hindsight will tell us if you would have been better of in or our of this deal.

However, here’s some financial blurb about your chances of making money.

Let’s say you buy for $330,000 on a 80% loan. Closing costs are $11603.50 plus legals and loan fees, so let’s call it an even $13,000.

Cash in you need is therefore:

Deposit: $66,000
    Closing costs: $13,000
    Total: $79,000

I accept that you may choose to use equity in other properties to fund your deposit, or alternatively you may borrow >80% and pay mortgage insurance. But I need to start somewhere…

Anyway, you mention that you’ll also have to tip in $700 per month. OK… and let’s say that you CAN find a tenant the second it’s finished (say the beginning of April).

Your loss until the end of the year will be 9 months * $700 = $6,300

OK – now let’s imagine that you sell after nine months. The first question I ask is why would someone buy a used apartment off you when they could probably buy a new apartment assuming they are continuing to be built.

Pushing that issue to one side, let’s assume you CAN sell for $380,000. Deducted from this needs to be agents costs, let’s assume 3% – which comes to $11,400, plus let’s say another $2,000 in solicitors fees, mortgage discharge etc.

Your numbers now look like this:

Total acquisition costs: $343,000
    Add Negative cashflow: $6,300
    Less sales price: ($380,000)
    Add sales costs: $13,400
    Profit: $17,300

Now, don’t forget the tax implications of the profit. Because you have held the property for <12 months there is no CGT discount, so up to 50% of it will be lost. Best case scenario is you’ll probably lose say 1/3rd, so your bottom line BEST CASE SCENARIO is you are betting $79,000 to make a possible $5,709.

I can see why you said this was a gamble!

To me there is far too much risk given that your key assumptions are:

1. Property continues to rise in value at current rates
    2. You can find a tenant
    3. The property is completed on time
    4. You have access to capital and can afford the loss each month
    5. Your likely gain is small compared with the risk.

Perhaps the investing Universe is telling you something by providing you with a way out of this deal.

Maybe it’s your chance to build a relationship with an agent by doing them a favour and moving on from this deal to pick up a more profitable deal later.

Finally, whatever you do, if you are making a $330,000 investing decision without a proper analysis of the numbers, such as that outlined in Financial Analysis Template in Buyer Beware, then you’re asking for trouble.

Best of luck,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of PatriciaPatricia
    @patricia

Thanks for taking the time to answer that, Steve.
    I am still a little tempted to hang on to it. One because I will be managing the rent aspect, and two because I have full equity in my home, three I do have a little capital to help if things go wrong, four as each time a new canlal lot gets built the prices start at around ten to twenty more than the last project. This development is one of the best as it is about three hundred metres to the estuary, and town. Then last night some development types were saying that because of the capital gains here (highest in WA) the property will definately be around the 400.000 mark within a year or less. You are right of course, my greed glands are trying to override my sensible ones, but as I am 57, with no super I don’t think I have time to let positive gear (or positive cash flow -damned if I can make out the difference) support me in the old age. (oh, well much drumming of fingers here.) thanks, Trish

Profile photo of DavidUDavidU
    @davidu

Hi Patricia

Positive cashflow puts money in your pocket from day 1. That is, nothing is left to chance. Do you think this will help or hinder you when you eventually retire in a few years from now?

Just a thought

David U

Profile photo of quasimodoquasimodo
    @quasimodo

Let’s say Steve is even roughly right and the profit at the end of the day is around $6000. Why not just ask $6000 to up and leave the deal quietly on good terms? Less work. Less risk. Same profit. Faster. Everyone wins…

Even if your profit *could* have been higher, I’d be amazed if the profit:time ratio could come anywhere near this, especially after taxes.

Just a thought! [:D]

Quasimodo

Profile photo of PatriciaPatricia
    @patricia

Thanks for taking the time to answer this. I have now been to a conveyance lawyer on this matter. My deposit was sent back, and no discussions would be enterered into. It would seem that someone is trying to Gazump (?) me which is illegal over here. I also had mail telling me as a new owner I could put 150 into marketing the property for rental. Then of course the next day back came my deposit. We now have a caveate on the property. I shall keep an update on here.
    Trish

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Technical hitch’ is closed to new replies.