Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of Pro investorPro investor
    Participant
    @pro-investor

Hi i would like to know what some of you do to get more rent from a renter cause i’m lookin at a porperty at the moment the numbers work the only thing is that it is in an bad part of town and it hasn’t been rented for 4 months. I was thinking doing a bit of work to it but no matter how much work i do it is still in the same area of town any ideas would be great.

Thanks Rob[8D]

Profile photo of Stretch_2Stretch_2
    @stretch_2

Hi Robert,

With such a general question it is a bit hard to suggest what needs doing to your property. There are so many things you can do. I feel from what youve said, the most important thing is that you have to find a tenant.

If you are using a real estate agent then get rid of them and find one who will at least give you a couple of pointers if they cant rent your house for you.

It pays to have professional management.

In regard to the house, you need a clutter free, tidy, low maintenace yard. It has to be at least a little appealing on the eye, no loose panels or different colour roof sheets etc. The interior doesnt have to be spot on , but it must be CLEAN, especially the bathroom , kitchen etc.

As for the area, theres not really too much you can do, unless you also live in the area. If you do, you can always start up a local street party, even if its just your street, where everyone helps each other out ie renovations, gardening, improvements etc. You may find the whole neighborhood might join in. Before long it may be the best part of town.

If that doesnt work , sell it, and find a more suitable vehicle for your investment dreams.

Profile photo of Pro investorPro investor
    Participant
    @pro-investor

thanks for the advise it is a 2 bed room unit in a block of 4 which rents for $115 per week and is for sale for $45’000 and they really want to sell i also get to use the fhbg. the body corpate and rates are $1450 a year.

Thanks Rob[8D]

Profile photo of Stretch_2Stretch_2
    @stretch_2

Nice return, just remember that net return compensates for lack of quality and desirability.
    How long has the property been on the market?
    When was the last unit in the block sold and how much?
    Is there the possibility of increasing the value through renovation?
    And if they are keen to get rid of it, find out why. You may be able to get it for a steal. Id start with an offer of about $35K and bargain from there.
    You make the most of your equity in the short term when you buy!

Participant
    @pro-investor

hi it’s been on the market for 3 months i offered $37000 today. unit 2 sold on Thursday for $50 000 yes i believe i can make money though renovation and i’m a cabenit maker so that helps.

Thanks Rob[8D]

Profile photo of BDMBDM
    Participant
    @bdm

G’day Rob,

My simple suggestion is to replace all the power points and light switches with new ones.

You don’t have to buy fancy ones – just cheapies at the local hardware shop is enough.

A coat of paint and new power points and light swtiches can make an old place look so much better very quickly and cheaply – thus increasing both desirablilty and rental income.

I hope this helps,

BDM

Participant
    @pro-investor

hi everyone I bought this property to for $41000 This is my first and I’m so happy i’m now in the game. I’d like to thank everyone for there knowledge it has help me heaps.

Thanks Rob[8D]

Profile photo of zizziz
    Participant
    @ziz

Congrats Rob well done. Those figures look pretty good and certainly with a bit of a polish you should find the vacancy factor manageble.

I would check those body corporate fees as this seems somewhat high. If it is common water then there may be a water leak. Get a budget/last years expenses from the manager. Simple check.

Cheers

Profile photo of NessieNessie
    @nessie

Hi Rob

A hint to getting the tenant once you have completed your rejuvenation. Movie Tickets. The best advice Steve has ever given.

Couldn’t get a tenant for 3 months – had a very lazy Agent.
    Changed Agents and offered Movie Tickets. Got a tenant within 3 days of new Agent advertising.

Good luck
    Nessie

Participant
    @pro-investor

hi the body corpate is $300 a year and rates is $577 half a year.

Participant
    @pro-investor

thanks for the advice Nessie I was going to do that if i find it hard to get tenants.

Was everyone nerveous on there first deal or is it just me cause i hope it all works out to plan.cause my parents believe in working hard to make money they think i’m doing the wrong thing no matter how hard i try to explain it to them they still think it won’t work.

Thanks Rob

Profile photo of zizziz
    Participant
    @ziz

Hi Rob

No doubt you have done the figures but they are great.

price = $41,000
    costs? = $1,000
    purchase = $42,000
    loan = $32,000

rent = $5980pa

rates + levies = $1500
    loan costs(6%) =$1920
    maint = $500pa
    pm = $500pa

income = rent – (rates + loan costs + maint + pm)

income = 5980 – (1500 + 1920 + 500 + 500)
    = 1560

deposit + cost = $10000
    return on this is 15.6%

So given that I have assumed a number of figures your cash on cash return is $1560 on the $10,000 which is 15.6% return (better than the bank)

Your gross return which is simply the rent divided by the total purchase cost is 14.2%.

So all up not a bad little investment. The only risk is the vacancy factor but your holding costs are only $75 pw. Any immediate capital gain could be doubtful although you mention that another unit went for $50k so depending on the variables you may have a paper profit of $8k.

Cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘any ideas’ is closed to new replies.