All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Help with Development

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of ArnaldoArnaldo
    Participant
    @arnaldo

Hi, I am interested with a property advertised as “Dual Occupancy (STCA) or Renovators Dream”.

My questions are:
    Who do I need to inspect the property for renovations? Can a builder give me a quote on what’s needed to be done inside and outside the house?

If I plan to build units or houses, what are the steps in doing this? For example, I need to contact the council to know what is allowed. Get someone to split the land, get someone to draw a plan, etc.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Arnaldo

Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice.
    It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved.
    – William Jennings Bryan

Profile photo of birdmanbirdman
    Participant
    @birdman

Hi,

I would suggest working with someone who has done Development Applications to the council in the past – there are lots of hoops to jump through in order to get the approval to do this. You will also need plans for what you propose to build on the land and ensure that they comply with all of the regulations set by the council. Some DA guys will have plans that you can just re-use rather than having to get new ones drawn up. I have examined doing 4 townhouses on a block that we have, the cost just on doing the DA was around $5000. There would also be at least another $20,000 in preparing the block (water, sewage, electricity).

If you are going to build units, you may find it hard to get a builder as they are off doing their own thing, and it is quite different than building a house, so chosing any old builder may not be a wise move.

Cheers,
    Stephen

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi Arnaldo,

Whilst I’m no expert on this by any means, council needs to be consulted on basically every move, from removing walls, building carports or removing them, fence lines etc. Red Tape can hold you up for a long time. I know of some builders who’ve been in the game for 40years or more and the headaches they get from councils is astronomical.
    You would need to get some builders to quote you and do a fesability (my spelling is atrocious sorry) study.

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]

There are no problems, only solutions!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Help with Development’ is closed to new replies.