All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Steve rents but is it better to buy?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Dan260Dan260
    @dan260

I steve and investors.

I have 3 investment properties and am thinking of either renting or buyiung a house to live in.

I know that Steve currently rents and was wondering what was the motivation behind this decision. What were the positives and neagtives.

Also what are other peoples experiences and thoughts with regards to this issue?

cheers Again
    dan

Profile photo of wilsonkaywilsonkay
    @wilsonkay

Hi Dan260,

I have often struggled with this question – and I think in general terms the answer is – it depends on your particuliar cercumstances.

Up until now I have always lived with my parents – so it’s not been such an issue – however I have recently been forced to move out, and was presented with the option of renting or buying. For me, the choice was to buy. The biggest reason for this was because of the market I am in. Being in Tasmania meant that I could actually buy a reasonable property with a weekly repayment considerably less than what I could actually rent that same property for.

For example:

Currently loan repayment is $86.00 a week.
    Rental of the same property is $130 a week.

On top of that payment i have been able to put two other people in to the property (being a 3 bedroom) charging them $65 per week. Which means this money goes towards my loan and as a result will be paid off in 5 years instead of 25. Everyone wins.

The other thing I liked about this option was that I could then borrow against the equity in the property to do “other” things with. It looks good on the balance sheet when I go as guarantor for our property investing company when obtaining finance. Additional income etc.

So basically – it would depend on where you live and the current market. If you can buy a property (which meets the 11 sec solution) in your market for less than the current weekly rent, then financially that might be the best way to go. And having said that I strongly believe that this can be done in any market in Autralia – if you really try hard enough and get creative.

A simplistic view but it might help!

Regards,

Tim Wilson.

“Poverty is not an option”

Profile photo of wilsonkaywilsonkay
    @wilsonkay

This link might also be of some use to you as it is a related discussion which took place on this forum earlier – https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42

Regards,

Tim Wilson.

“Poverty is not an option”

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

The reason why I rent is because in order to get to my goal by the chosen date I need to have my capital working in my investing deals rather than tied up in a home.

E.g.

If I bout a home for $300k on a 80% LVR, then $60k + closing costs is tied up at a 0% Cash on Cash Return (although I may get cap. gains).

However, by using wraps and other strategies I can get >50% returns. Then when I reinvest my profits (as Dave and I do… I live on <$500 per month from my wife!) in order to compound my returns.

Sure, I could retire now and comfortably never work again… but I am not yet at my money goal.

So in the meantime I am trying to work a little less each month while also accelerating my earnings.

Hope this has helped.

Bye

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of Dan260Dan260
    @dan260

Thanks Steve and Gang. That solves my problem. While I have committed to upsizing my current mortgage, I will review my financial position in the new year and look to rent out my latest property while renting my own principal place of residence instead of getting a crippling mortgage.
    I assume that renting in my desired area will be cheaper than servicing a mortgage for the smae property. However, dont i lose the potential capital gains?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Steve rents but is it better to buy?’ is closed to new replies.