All Topics / The Treasure Chest / 80% or 90% LVR??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of insiderinsider
    @insider

In Property Investing example the wrapper borrows 90% for the property. Figures are as follows:-

Purchase price – $80,000
    Deposit – $8,000 (10%)
    Closing costs – $2,500
    Cash needed – $10,500
    Loan – $72,000
    Interest rate – 6.9%
    Weekly repayment – $116.13

Wrapee’s
    Purchase Price – $100,000
    Deposit – $10,000
    Closing cost – $500
    Cash needed – $10,500
    Loan – $90,000
    Interest rate – 8.4%
    Weekly repayment – $165.44

The sellers return is then ($165.44-$116.13)*52) = $2,564.34.

Considering is outlay was only $500 his C.O.C return is 512.87%.

First of all we cannot assume that every buyer has FHOG so if we take this out of the calculation the return is not as impressive.
    We get the following $3000 deposit from buyer less wrappers initial investment of $10500. Total cash in deal is therefore $7000. C.O.C return is then 36%. No where near as impressive but still better then any managed fund.

We will take this a step further and borrow on the traditional LVR of 80%. Cash in deal is now $15,000. C.O.C. return is now as follows;
    2564.34/15000 = 17% not so impressive but still better then negative gearing.

I’m by no means saying these deals can’t be done but before going into any deal you have to plan for what is not what might be eg. FHOG $7,000 this may not exist soon which will total diminish C.O.C return. You are also assuming that the purchaser is going to be a First home owner.

The main question I wanted to ask was that of LVR?? Do we borrow 80% or 90%. This can have a huge impact on C.O.C. return. In the above example he borrows 90% which would mean mortage insurance is a must. The cost of the insurance would then be added onto his cost which would diminish his C.O.C return.

Has anyone got any idea to the cost of mortgage insurance say on a $80,000 property approx??

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Agreed that the LVR is 90% and as such mortgage insurance should be included. I will arrange for the example to reflect an 80% LVR. Check it back tomorrow and it should have changed.

Re: comment about FHOG, again, correct. However it is up to the investor to find / use / qualify a client who can qualify for the grant.

If no grant can be claimed then a larger deposit should be sought.

If there is no grant and no deposit then I’d be using the lease-option technique.

It’s all about applying the right strategy to the right investing problem.

However, this example is common for the many wraps that I have done.

Good pick up.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of h8dk97h8dk97
    @h8dk97

quote:

Hi,

Agreed that the LVR is 90% and as such mortgage insurance should be included. I will arrange for the example to reflect an 80% LVR. Check it back tomorrow and it should have changed.

Re: comment about FHOG, again, correct. However it is up to the investor to find / use / qualify a client who can qualify for the grant.

If no grant can be claimed then a larger deposit should be sought.

If there is no grant and no deposit then I’d be using the lease-option technique.

It’s all about applying the right strategy to the right investing problem.

However, this example is common for the many wraps that I have done.

Good pick up.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Hi Steve,

The example reflects 80% LVR but unless I am missing something it still is incorrect:

quote:

Considering that Alister’s nett cash in the deal is his deposit + closing costs ($10,500) less the deposit he receives ($18,500), his annual cash on cash return is 38.06%!

$18,500 is the deposit that the wraper (Alister) has to pay not the wrapee (Judy). So isn’t he still $18,500 – $10,500 = $8,000 short?

Jerry
    Advertise your property for FREE at YourEstate.com.au

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Yep.

He needs $8,000 to invest in this deal from his own pocket.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘80% or 90% LVR??’ is closed to new replies.