Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of CYCY
    @cy

Hi guys

Before I approach my investor I thought I should clarify few things:

1. What is commonly agreed between you & investor ? Is it 50-50 split, or do you just ‘promise’ him say 14% return?
    2. Do we need to draw a written agreement ? What sort of guarantee do I need to offer to investor- this is to make sure that I don’t run & take his money.
    3. What is the ‘minimum’ (if any) period that he must NOT take the principal back. Eg he gave me 30k , then if he want the all the money back (pulling off) in 3 months. I would be in trouble coz the monies is tied up in the deal.

Lets look at the numbers
    Purchase prop 70k
    LVR 80% – Loan 56k
    Deposit 14k
    Closing cost4k
    Money upfront (investor pays) 18k

Sell (wrap) for 85k
    Deposit from wrap buyer 7k- this leaves investor with net outlay 11k
    Assuming spread 250 pm or 3000 pa(2% interest spread)

Now if I want 50-50 split, then ROI for Investor = 1500/ 11000 = 13.6%

I thought 14% is a bit low for investor ??? what am I missing here?? How should I make it more attractive?

thanks & regards,
    CY

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi CY,

Let’s have a go at answering some of your questions…

quote:

1. What is commonly agreed between you & investor ? Is it 50-50 split, or do you just ‘promise’ him say 14% return?

I don’t think there is an absolute standard as to what to expect, but in my opinion I think 50:50 is the default. I think it’s more about find out what the investor is looking for and then offer it. If they want a red Commodore, then give them a red Commodore. As for a % return, the normal ‘run of the mill’ investors seem to have a fixation with 10%.

quote:

2. Do we need to draw a written agreement ? What sort of guarantee do I need to offer to investor- this is to make sure that I don’t run & take his money.

Yes, definitely! Agreements are not for good times but for bad times. I would draw up a Heads of Agreement in bullet point form and then get a solicitor to formalise it.

Make sure you cover situation for the share of profits and losses.

quote:

3. What is the ‘minimum’ (if any) period that he must NOT take the principal back. Eg he gave me 30k , then if he want the all the money back (pulling off) in 3 months. I would be in trouble coz the monies is tied up in the deal.

That’s why you have an agreement that spells out what has to happen in order to get the money out. Personally, I’d say the investor has his/her money tied up for the length of the deal.

This is why some wrap investors only do 5 year loan terms and seek to have the client pay them out.

quote:

Lets look at the numbers
    Purchase prop 70k
    LVR 80% – Loan 56k
    Deposit 14k
    Closing cost4k
    Money upfront (investor pays) 18k

Sell (wrap) for 85k
    Deposit from wrap buyer 7k- this leaves investor with net outlay 11k
    Assuming spread 250 pm or 3000 pa(2% interest spread)

Now if I want 50-50 split, then ROI for Investor = 1500/ 11000 = 13.6%

I thought 14% is a bit low for investor ??? what am I missing here?? How should I make it more attractive?

It all depends on what the investor can get elsewhere. 13.6% is a lot better than 4% for low risk. But you’ll never know unless you ask people what they want! It doesn’t matter what you want when you need someone else’s money. Golden rule – he who has the gold makes the rules!

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Investor’ is closed to new replies.