All Topics / The Treasure Chest / joint venture

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of dr housedr house
    Participant
    @dr-house

does anyone have any experience with joint ventures?
    I have 3 properties that I am hoping to turn into dual occupancies.

I have considered teaming up with a builder, he then builds the house and we then sell the house and subdivided land package. He can also assist me with refurbishing the main(original) house on the land, eg adding a garage, fencing or drive way. I would keep the main house and the profit made would help add value to it and reduce the mortgage such that it becomes cash flow positive.
    I am just starting to think about this concept.
    So I haven’t actually done it yet, but my solicitor tells me, it can be done and a legal joint venture contract is drawn up.
    Regina

Profile photo of FrankFrank
    @frank

Regina, while I haven’t done it, a close friend has. In theory it should work well, but the builder was less than honest, so while the deal succeeded, it was hardly worth it given the profit actually generated. From this I have learnt to put in place well-written and watertight contracts, with no loose ends. I would also recommend only working with a builder you know. Good luck!

Profile photo of dr housedr house
    Participant
    @dr-house

thankyou for reply.
    Hopefully I have found an honest builder who seems
    to do a good job. My solicitor also seems very familiar with drawing up a suitable contract.
    If the first venture works out ok, hopefully I can do a few more
    Regina

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Regina,

Would you feel comfortable listing out the basics of your joint venture… ie. what are the responsibilities of each party, how profit / loss is to be distributed etc.?

I’ll provide some feedback with my thoughts on the set up and it would be an excellent discussion for people who have no experience in joint ventures too.

Thanks,

Steve McKnight

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Participant
    @dr-house

I haven’t got to this point yet.
    I have recently brought 3 properties(outer east) with subdivision potential. The first has just been submitted to the council, they are supposed to respond in 2 weeks. My thinking is, that the money I make on selling the land can be paid into the mortgage, such that the property becomes cash flow neutral or just positive.
    After developement expenses and capital gains tax are paid,whatever is left over, will be a deposit towards the next property, so you are able to leap frog into the next property very quickly. I have to wait one year, before selling however, as only half of the profit is then capital gains taxed at your top marginal tax rate, this then being 25% tax versuds 50% tax if sold in under one year.
    Joint venture is a thought, in that I have just seen a property owned by a builder, with the potential to be strongly cash flow positive, so if he can sell me the property at a discount, he can have my land to build his next townhouse in return.
    At the moment its still my thoughts, depends on council approval and the price he is willing to sell his current property.
    In any case, if this has a potential to work out legally and financially, it could be another property strategy.
    regina,

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

OK, let’s have a look…

quote:

I haven’t got to this point yet.
    I have recently brought 3 properties(outer east) with subdivision potential. The first has just been submitted to the council, they are supposed to respond in 2 weeks. My thinking is, that the money I make on selling the land can be paid into the mortgage, such that the property becomes cash flow neutral or just positive.

How much money to you think that you’ll make with the subdivision. I recommend that you flesh out a more detailed exit plan so you’ll know what has to be done to get your money back.

Can you be more specific with the numbers of the deal… i.e. how much cash in, cost of subdivision, details of finance etc..

I’d be very interested to see how the numbers stack up to compare the risk:reward on the deal.

quote:

After developement expenses and capital gains tax are paid,whatever is left over, will be a deposit towards the next property, so you are able to leap frog into the next property very quickly. I have to wait one year, before selling however, as only half of the profit is then capital gains taxed at your top marginal tax rate, this then being 25% tax versuds 50% tax if sold in under one year.

Hmmm, unless you are deemed to be in the business of subdivision, in which case the profits that you make are income and not capital gains.

What sort of property are you looking for in your next deal? In fact, I think you would really benefit from having a two or three year plan that outlines what you are doing and how much money you stand to make.

I regard deals of this nature to be earned income rather than passive income.

quote:

Joint venture is a thought, in that I have just seen a property owned by a builder, with the potential to be strongly cash flow positive, so if he can sell me the property at a discount, he can have my land to build his next townhouse in return.

This isn’t so much a joint venture as it would be a straight deal negotiation.

A JV would be you supply the land, the builder supplies the property and you share the profits or output on an pre-agreed basis.

quote:

At the moment its still my thoughts, depends on council approval and the price he is willing to sell his current property.

Regina, I strongly urge you to be more specific with developing a plan to make this work. It seems to me that it is all a bit too remote and that a lot has to happen in order for you to make money.

Property development is a dangerous arena for newbies, especially with rising interest rates. I urge you to proceed with caution and to not bite off more than you can comfortably manage.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Participant
    @dr-house

thank you very much for response, much appreciated as always.
    I agree with you in every aspect, it is go slow and steady.
    The existing houses are very livable and rented out, so if things are not moving quickly, the backyard just sits there, and the property is still earning an income. The biggest catch is always the prevailing council mood at the time, as to whether permits are granted. I think we have selected our properties fairly carefully in that respect.
    As I said, will keep you posted.
    best wishes
    Regina

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘joint venture’ is closed to new replies.