All Topics / Help Needed! / Development

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of blueheeler1968blueheeler1968
    Participant
    @blueheeler1968

Can some one tell me what process i would go through from start to finish of investing in a property development. We are looking at a large block of land 25 acres in Tarneit, Melbourne?

What are the pros and cons?

What type of professionals will i be looking at?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Step 1: Find out the zoning of the land and whether you could build any more dwellings on it or subdivide it at all.  If it still has a rural zoning, you might find you can't.  Thus you'd perhaps not bother buying it unless you're prepared to sit on the land and wait for a rezoning, or try and ask council to rezone it.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of blueheeler1968blueheeler1968
    Participant
    @blueheeler1968

I will find out from the council. I just thought that with all the rezoning in that area the block of land would have been applicable. Thank you for your response.

Profile photo of Rookie DeveloperRookie Developer
    @rookie-developer

JacM has given you the right starting point
    While you are correct with other rezoning it helps your case, but does NOT guarantee it.
    Council will give you their thoughts, but worth discussing with a town planner and/or land surveyor familiar with the area & council
    Either way, rezoning can be a very lengthy time, maybe consider trying to buy it 'subject to' the rezoning and/or subdivision you require

Hope this gives you a starting point

Troy

Participant
    @jacm

this is definitely not a point  you want to stumble on. it could become a mistake that costs you a hell of a lot of money.  you want to know with absolute certainty.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @blueheeler1968

The Acreage is a Urban Growth Zone so, I'm guessing i would still have to do my homework with the Council?

Participant
    @jacm

You definitely need to do  your homework with council.  Call the Wyndham City Council and ask to speak to someone in the planning department.  Don't call first thing in the morning, last thing of the day or around lunchtime.  You're unlikely to get the most helpful service from someone if you caught them when they were about to eat lunch.  Be friendly, introduce yourself, and don't try to sound like you know what you are talking about.  It just wastes everyones time and could put you at risk of someone not mentioning important information because they presumed you already knew the information.  Say plain and simple that you are looking at buying a particular piece of land (give them the address) for development purposes, and that you haven't done such a thing before.  Tell them what you fancy building on it and ask if the zoning would permit that, and if there are any other stumbling blocks they foresee in terms of development, and also in terms of subdivision.  At the end of the conversation, thank the person for their time at the end and sometimes they will happily say that if you would like any further help feel free to call them back.

Also find a land surveyor from the Wyndham area (refer http://www.yellowpages.com.au) about the same topic.  They can usually give you some very high level idea about things to be done, timelines, and costings.  Ask them to explain how they could help you through this process – what they handle, and what you'd have to handle.  Again, be super friendly, thankful, and indicate you look forward to speaking to them again when you have your thoughts in order to proceed with a plan.

Remember for big parcels of land, you might have to put in roads, street lights, electricity pits etc etc.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of hrubhrub
    @hrub

Hi blueheeler1968,

I found out about this website from my architect when he was helping me sub-dividing my plot of land in Truganina.

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/planningschemes/aavpp/37_07.pdf

Hope this is any help.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Property development is complex and expensive but not especially difficult as long as you understand the process or engage someone else who does. Here's what you need to do:

Assess the opportunity. Do some homework.
    Create a strategy for the development so you're clear about what you wish to achieve and can communicate it to others.
    Put together some concepts to further communicate the planning objectives. Discuss these concepts with the stakeholders.
    Make application for a TPP/DA, and get your permit.
    Get the project comprehensively documented.
    Subdivide and/or build.
    Sell or rent as set out in the second step (strategy)

That's the short form. Obviously it's a little more complex than that, and lots of small things need to happen in the right order to avoid mistakes that can sometimes be costly.

Participant
    @blueheeler1968

Thank you so much for all the feedback guys really really appreciate it.

Profile photo of Ultra PropertyUltra Property
    @ultra-property
    blueheeler1968 wrote:

Can some one tell me what process i would go through from start to finish of investing in a property development. We are looking at a large block of land 25 acres in Tarneit, Melbourne?

What are the pros and cons?

What type of professionals will i be looking at?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

1. Find a project manager or educate yourself with the full development process.

2. There are probably more cons than pros if you get it wrong.

3. Town planners, surveyors, civil engineers, the list goes on.

I would go see a town planner that is experience in that area, try and get a referral or speak to a developer in the area and see which consultants they use.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.