All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Suburb Crime History

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of NishuGNishuG
    @nishug

Hi all,

We r looking for our first property and came across noble park,clayton,dandenong,reservoir,preston,altona where the prices are not that high but then checked the suburb profile on realestate.com.au and crime rate was very high in all these suburbs.

Can anyone tell us that whether the reports of suburub crime profile are true or not

And should we buy the properties there.We have Nunawading as well in our minds if anyone has property there Pls tell us abt that suburb.

Thanks

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi NishuG,

It is true that the crime rates are higher in certain parts/areas of the suburbs you mentioned. A lot of the crimes are drug and gang related. People still live there however and you should get insurance on your property which would cover you…

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]

“Giving is a Blessing, receiving is the bonus”

Profile photo of BDMBDM
    Participant
    @bdm

G’day NishuG,

Nunawading has had some inmpressive capital gain/growth over the last 3 or 4 years. If you are after capital gain then you could do much worse… However, you will find it difficult to find positively geared properties.

There are parts of Nunawading that are “less desirable” than others. May I suggest that the Forest Hill side of the train line ( between the train line and Canterbury Road ) is “better” than the East Doncaster side.

My wife and I bought a unit in Forest Hill/ Nunawading in June last year, and have had easily 12% growth since then.

Sorry, I can’t comment on the other suburbs you’ve mentioned, but this link may help…

http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/snapshot/price/index.cfm?action=view

Just type in the suburb name or postcode, and it will give you the capital growth over the last 12 months.

Have a good one,

BDM

Profile photo of amni23amni23
    Participant
    @amni23

Thanks BDM.your comments are really helpful.

Profile photo of NICKSNICKS
    @nicks

Hi NishuG

I am also in the market for buying my first property (not IP). And I have done some research on reservoir, preston & Altona and can indeed confirm that these areas have a higher crime rate (on paper atleast). However, I live in Sth. Yarra (rent) and “on paper” it too has a high crime rate (than the suburbs mentioned above), yet I haven’t come across a single incident (touch wood).

The “crime activities & hot spots” exist in every area, and I wont generally rate an area on these basis unless its like “Cabramatta” in Sydney (no offense intended). An area like that, you wont want to buy or invest. (The latest news is that its all changing, and the place has become a lot safer than it used to be).

Anyway, have you considered Hoppers Crossing ? Last weekend, I found a property @ 165K (brick veneer), a full 3 bedroom house + huge backyard & in quite good condition. Didnt buy that because my wife still does public transport and that place wasnt close to any.

You can email me offline ([email protected]) and we can discuss (since we are in the same boat :)

rgds

Nick

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Suburb Crime History’ is closed to new replies.