All Topics / Help Needed! / Starting Out

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of mhugomhugo
    @mhugo

Hi guys, I am about to embark on the whirlwind of property investing, and need a sounding board. I have $100,000 in cash available, and am now trying to decide how to start.

The property I am interested in is $145000 and would rent for about $200 per week, it only needs a quick spruce up.

Do I put in a small amount and borrow the rest at interest only, or put in a larger amount and borrow a lesser amount so my equity is higher?[blush2] This is so confusing!!

There are a couple of other properties that I would like to buy as well, but the hardest step is always the first one.

I also have a current mortgage with my partner with an equity of $160,000, but was reluctant to use that to start out.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Hi mhugo,
    If your intend to acquire several investments then I would suggest current funds be used as multiple deposits for finance and keep all loans separate to avoid cross colaterisation of the portfolio.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au
    Ph:0402483216
    Ph:1800 820 500
    VICTORIA

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

Profile photo of nordicskiernordicskier
    @nordicskier

For the interested property use $29k for non loan purchase and borrow 80% of 145k thereby avoiding mortgage insurance, set aside 10k for purchase costs – stamp duty & conveyancing fees etc. That’s a total of $39k leaving $61k for the next IP.
    This is a more conservative approach but places you in a less vulnerable position if interest rate rise. It has the advantage of already setting up a base of equity in the property for future strategies such as a cross collateral line of credit. The system does not suit everybody but helps me sleep at night! It certainly is not a get rich quick system in IP. Just more sustainable I believe.

Improve your nordic skiing – become an accredited instructor with http://www.apsi.net.au/nordic

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.