Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of IntrigueIntrigue
    @intrigue

Hello all,

A friend has asked me to look in to the rent to buy angle.

As I havent looked into this before I am looking for the 'Rent to Buy 101' lesson!

Anyone have any experience that can fill me in on how it works – The pros and cons for buyer as well as pros and cons for seller? Any links to further information.

Any input welcomed… Ta

Owe and how does this differ from Vendor financing?

Profile photo of ALF1ALF1
    Participant
    @alf1

Hi Intrigue.
    I actually draft Option Agreements (or Rent to Buy) for clients so, if you send me an email I'll send you alot more info than I could post here for you right now. But here's a taste:
    You can apply an Lease/Option to Buy contract into place for just about any residentail property.
    Over simplifying the process, the Vendor or a Buying Agent finds a Purchaser who agrees to buy the property at an agreed price in todays money at a date further down the track, i.e. H&L worth $500K. The Vendor agrees to sell to the purchaser the property in 5 years time for say $550K. The Vendor draws up 2 main docs – a contract to purchase and a lease agreement. So, for the next five years, the tenant agrees to pay an agreed amount for rent plus outgoings, and usually has a percentage of the rent taken off the final purchase the longer they rent the property. The purchaser also usually pays a deposit (consideration under contract law) of upwards of $10K – the more the better for the Vendor because it makes it more difficult for the Purchaser to just walk away. The deposit is always non-refundable.
    Option Agreements, if done legally correct and are drafted honorably between both the Vendor and Purchaser, can be very good. They allow the Vendor to have their mortgage commitments met by the rent and they will still walk away with a tidy lump sum at the end of the contract term – good for Vendors in financial strife. It allows a Purchaser to commence buying a home without the need of a traditional bank loan – this is also why most Option Agreements i've ever done are for 5 years – because if the Purchaser has a bad credit history, after 5 years they usually have a 'clean slate'. The Purchser's rent money is not dead money because a percentage of the rent is coming off the final purchase price at the end of the Option term. The only real big downside to the Purchaser is if they simply cannot get the home loan at the end to finalise the Option Agreement. If this happens, or the Purchaser defaults on the Option Contract, they lose the lot – ALL the money they paid in deposit and rent and the property itself! The downside for the Vendor in all this is, if the capital growth in the property is high then they are literally doing themselves out of potentially tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Confused?

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

ALF 1

Do you see many Rent to Buy schemes for properties in the $1.1m price range ?

Participant
    @alf1

Hi Bardon.
    You don't see too many but I have done an Option Agreement on a $23.3million property before – the largest I've done.

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon
    ALF1 wrote:
    Hi Bardon.
    You don't see too many but I have done an Option Agreement on a $23.3million property before – the largest I've done.

I may be interested in a JV fro one in Hampton Melbourne with a sale date of Dec 11 if you are interested in operating in this area ?

Participant
    @alf1

Drop me a line below Bardon and i'd be happy to talk more to you privately and with legal priviledge.

Participant
    @alf1

PS: Being Sunday, i'll be offline for the rest of the day now but will be back on deck tomorrow.

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Intrigue

You couldn't get a better description of Rent To Owns (Lease/Options) than Anthony's above.  However I think your friend may have really been asking you to look at the Vendor Finance angle, as a Rent To Own is one of the available Vendor Finance strategies.

The three most popular Vendor Finance strategies are:
    1.  Rent To Own.  This is documented with a Residential Lease and an Option (see Anthony's post above)
    2.  Deposit Finance.  This is often documented with a second mortgage.  This is where the Buyer gets a traditional loan for the property and the Vendor finances the remainder.  This strategy has become quite difficult to use due to traditional lenders tightening their rules since the GFC and the new National Credit Code.
    3.  Instalment Contract.  Sometimes called Vendor Finance and at other times, a Wrap.  See the links below to see how these operate.

We've been operating in the Vendor Finance industry since 2003 and it's worked for us.  If you'd like to learn more about vendor finance in Australia, I suggest you do a search for Vendor Finance here and in the Somersoft forum.  You'll get an immense amount of reading material in both these forums.

A few web resources that may help in your search for information about vendor finance are:
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/strategies/wraps
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/strategies/lease-options
    http://www.jvpropertypartners.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=75
    http://www.vendorfinancelawyer.com.au/
    http://www.vendorfinance.asn.au/   The Vendor Finance Association of Australia

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Participant
    @alf1

Hi Paul & Karen.

Could you please drop me an email as I get alot of enquiries for Options and Vendor Finance and would be more than pleased to work out an arrangement with yourselves to do some of my overflows or where I simply don't have the time to do the job properly within time constraints.

Kind regards,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.