All Topics / Heads Up! / TSUNAMI…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I think a lot of us could be doing a lot more. I stayed home on New Year’s Eve because I felt uncomfortable celebrating a new year with so many people losing their lives or the survivors losing their worldly possessions and family members.

One of my new year’s resolutions was to donate money to charity on a more regular basis. I think by posting this here, a lot more money might be raised seeing there are a lot of investors here.

Anyway, I have added the following to the bottom of my email signature and I hope a lot of you will also do the same to keep this fresh in people’s minds…

Please donate to the Tsunami relief funds!!!

Red Cross
    https://www.redcross.org.au/Donations/onlineDonations.asp

World Vision Australia
    http://www.worldvision.com.au/

Donations can also be made through most major banks.

Thank you.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

[shocked][angry2][cry]

Leading Geologist Gave
    Repeated Quake/Tsunami Warnings
    BBy Jonathan Leake
    Times Online.co.uk
    1-4-5

A leading geologist repeatedly warned Indonesian officials that an earthquake and tsunami would soon strike their shores, it emerged this weekend.

Kerry Sieh, professor of geology at California Institute of Technology, has been studying the region for nearly a decade.

Last July he became so concerned at the likely massive loss of life that he printed and distributed 5,000 posters and brochures around some of the islands later hit by the earthquake.

He addressed church congregations and schools to tell people what to do in an earthquake. His main advice was for people to live away from shorelines.

Sieh had been due to meet Indonesian officials last month to discuss a wider education programme but the meeting was cancelled at the last minute because the officials said they had no money.

Two weeks ago he expressed his fear that a big earthquake and tsunami were overdue in the region at a conference in San Francisco.

Sieh said this weekend: “No one can predict exactly when an earthquake will happen but it was clear that this area was at relatively high risk and such an event would definitely happen one day.

“We told them it would kill people, wreck infrastructure and destroy livelihoods. But our warnings were falling on deaf ears.

“My team and I decided to bypass the national and local government and start warning people directly. I hope our efforts saved some lives.”

Ten years ago Sieh installed monitors on islands off Sumatra. His research focused on the Mentawai Islands, a chain 100 miles south of the epicentre of the Boxing Day quake. Communication has not been re-established with the islands since the tsunami.

At his speech to the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco, he pointed out that, historically, such events have occurred in clusters.

Sieh believes this means another quake could be on the way: “There is some evidence that the stresses on the tectonic plates south of the epicentre may now have increased and raised the chances of another major earthquake.”

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

This is pretty serious stuff. What happens if they get hit again and there is nothing to slow the water down this time? It will go even further inland.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.